Friday, March 25, 2011

5 Ways to Get Motivated to Clean

Mindy commented on yesterday's list, 5 Reasons Not to Clean Right Now, saying that her list would include 5 reasons to clean so she could get motivated. So, for Mindy and anyone else that needs it, here's the flip side of yesterday's list.

5 Ways to Get Motivated to Clean

1. Invite someone over. Even though we should all work hard on not caring what others think of our homes, in truth, inviting somone over is still a great motivator for house cleaning. Focus on the key areas that a house guest is likely to care about. Clean the bathroom, tidy the kitchen and sweep the entry way. If you've still got some energy left, take care of general clutter and run the vacuum.

2. Recognize that you can get a lot of cleaning done in 15 minutes. It's almost become trite to say it, but 15 minutes really does go a long way when cleaning house. Set a timer and focus on one room. That's typically all it takes to pick up general clutter, tidy things and use a dust rag. Sometimes I can even pick up a living room full of toys and vacuum it in 15 minutes. You can do it, too!

3. Make a cleaning play list for your MP3 player, just like you would for working out or running. If you've ever been to an aerobics class, whether it's Zumba, step or Jazzercise, you know that the instructors have fast-paced music chosen specifically for their routines. Many runners also carefully select music to listen to while running. Music is an extremely  helpful and motivating tool for exercising. Why not use it for cleaning, too? Download music you love that will get you through your cleaning routine. Use an MP3 player or listen to it on your radio. Use whatever you have that plays music. You can even use music as a timer. Clean while you listen to three songs. Or, create a playlist that is a half hour long and do your daily cleaning routine to it.

4. Only keep what you love. Get rid of the things that don't enrich your life. Anything you don't love and don't use, whether it's books, dishes or old DVDs, is clutter. You will be much more likely to take care of your things and keep your home clean if it's only filled with the stuff you love. Check out Dutchess Declutter and her weekly posts called Object of My Affection. Her posts are a great reminder that we all have things we love in our homes.

5.  Have a "clean" room. Which room do you need to have clean? By this I mean, is there a room that drives you abosolutely crazy if it's not clean? Maybe you can't sleep if the bedroom is a mess or you can't make dinner if the dishes aren't done. Pick one room and focus on getting that cleaned out and decluttered. Then, do everything you need to do to keep it tidy every day. Once a room is decluttered, it really only takes 5 minutes a day to keep it clean. In my house, I abosolutely must have a clean bathroom. Since it's decluttered, all I have to do is take out the dirty towels, wipe the sink and toilet, sweep and put away the hairbrushes and toothbrushes. It's a five minute job.

Cleaning motivation can be hard to come by. We all have days where we don't feel like doing anything, much less going that extra mile to declutter and make things better than they were before. The trick is to be kind to yourself when you do falter, but get right back in there and do your cleaning routine as soon as you can.

10 comments:

  1. The kitchen is my HAVE TO keep clean room. I can NOT function in there with a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, Barb, wonderful advice. Going to go work for 15 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't really need to have motivation to clean. You can always hire a cleaning service. I live in miami and personally use a this -> Miami Maid service
    I highly recommend them if your in Miami.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE to hire a cleaning service and someday, I will! But, we don't have the pennies for it right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this post will help a lot of women, like my wife, to get themselves motivated.
    These tips sound logical.
    Regards from me and Clapham cleaners!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully it will motivate men, too, John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a new motivation. My printer isn't working. I tend to print out things to work on later and then have too much paper. Now I have to handle it right away! I am motivated to have less paper clutter and no printer helps. Am going to be on a self-imposed paper fast for about a month. (Will buy a new printer with my computer guru sister-in-law when we visit them for Easter.) Will make note on a bill I pay that it has been paid instead of printing out a record from the online backing and stapling it to the bill. Will write to advertisers to stop sending advertisement, or in some cases to send it electronically.

    You got me thinking about this, Barb, with your no microwave posts and no TV posts! If I can have less paper, I can have less clutter!

    Yeah for motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol - I am guilty of printing things to do or read later. I often print recipes that I want to make later instead of just saving them on my netbook. You've inspired me to be more mindful of what I print. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it's really hard to get motivated to clean. As a cleaning company owner & manager, motivating my employees can be challenging. It's all about the right attitude and the satisfaction you get from completing your goal. If you ever need a good cleaning company in Maryland, visit www.5starmaidsonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find it so hard to get motivated to clean and your tips are great, Thanks! I recently moved to London from the USA and treated myself to a cleaner from A Maid In Heaven who I would highly recommend if you live in London,UK.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!