Thursday, January 5, 2012

12 Things to Do in 2012

Have you made any New Year's resolutions?

I typically don't make resolutions. But, this year, I'm setting some goals for things I want to do in 2012.

OK, I know technically they ARE resolutions, but I prefer to think of them as goals. It's less daunting.

1. Take a photography class. I've wanted to do this for years. I need to improve my worse-than-beginner-level photography skills, both so I can take good photos of my kids and photos that I can use with my freelance writing on the blog and elsewhere.

2. Be more industrious around the house. I need to repaint the hallway, entryway, downstairs family room, kitchen and at least one bedroom. The back porch needs a small budget make over, as does the laundry room. Who knows how much I'll get done in 2012, but hopefully it'll be more than in 2011!

3. Win the clutter war in the garage once and for all! I've partially cleaned it several times in the last 3 years and it still tends toward the cluttered side. Winning the war is going to involve dragging everything out and putting back in only what we want and need to keep.

4. Write more. I want to submit articles to print magazines more frequently and acquire another monthly writing gig.

5. Help organize a community garden at my church. I've already volunteered to do this. I hope I can help and not hinder the process. My gardening skills aren't much better than my photography skills.

6.  Hike several times with my family. My husband and I used to be avid hikers. We still went pretty frequently when we had our first kid, including carrying him up (and down) Blue Mountain in the Adirondacks when he was 3. By the time we had our second child, our hiking time dwindled to nothing. We both want to reintroduce it to our lives. There won't be any hikes up mountains, but some nice local, short hikes on flat terrain would be a good start.  

7. Take the family on a "bigger" vacation this year. For us, big is like, Colonial Williamsburg or something else that's not more than a 12-hour drive away. We don't want to drain our bank account or go into debt for it. We are so not Disney people.

8. Make a quilt. I've already started it, though just barely, so maybe "finish" a quilt would be more accurate.

9. Make a shower curtain. I know, this still isn't done. But, in my defense, I've been looking for material and haven't found anything I like yet. I may make this ruffled shower curtain I found on Pinterest. Isn't it pretty?

10. Go to at least one Hula Fit class to see what it's like. I still like to hula hoop and think it's great exercise.

11. Get a new laptop. It's time to replace my old netbook. It's slow. I need a bigger keyboard and a bigger screen. I miss having a number key pad. And, five million other reasons I won't bore you with.

12. Go to a writing or blogging conference somewhere, possibly BlogHer 2012.

So, that's it. It's enough, I think. Most importantly, I'm going to not beat myself up if I don't do any of these things. They're more guidelines than resolutions. Life just shouldn't be that hard, you know?

What are your goals for 2012?

7 comments:

  1. My goals are upgrade my wardrobe by sewing and upcycling my current clothes and typing and editing my handwritten book with the help of a professional who is also a personal friend, and publishing it as an e-book on Smashwords. (As a sewer, fabric.com, might have what you're looking for in shower curtain material...just a suggestion.) Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tip! I'll check out fabric.com for sure. And, good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weight Watchers and prayer for others.

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. My New Year resolution is to never bite my pens, pencils, kerchiefs, blankets and library cards. And I've already broken the pens, pencils and kerchiefs resolution. Blankets and library cards to go! You see, I'm an awful gnawer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mickyatoutsidethebox@blogspot.comJanuary 10, 2012 at 8:57 AM

    Did you create 12 goals for the year 2012 or one for each month of the year? I can help with the your hiking goals as that is a hobby of mine as well, but my photography skills are quite lacking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nivedha - You can do it! I used to be a gnawer on a variety of things, too. I stopped when I was about 18 or 19 when my dentist told me how bad it was for my teeth.

    Micky - You should sign up for the photography class with me. 7 weeks, starts in Feb and not expensive. I'll give you more details if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and it was 12 goals for the year 2012.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!