Monday, January 9, 2012

Homemade Oxi-Clean: Yay or Nay?

Full disclosure: I've never used Oxi-clean, but have wanted to since I first heard about it's magic cleaning powers. It's a little pricey for me and I could never bring myself to buy it.

Thanks to Pinterest, I found a recipe for homemade Oxi-clean that was getting rave reviews. The recipe and directions are on the One Good Thing Blog by Jillee.

I tried it a few days ago with my knock-off Dawn dish washing detergent with mixed results. Each stain that I treated was lighter, but none were gone completely.

I bought some real Dawn and gave it another go today.

The basic directions are quite simple. Mix 2 parts hydrogen peroxide with 1 part Dawn. Add a generous amount of baking soda. Apply to stains and scrub. Let sit for roughly an hour then launder as usual.

Being the geek that I am, I was quite excited to try this concoction and decided to do it like an old-fashioned laundry detergent commercial.

I tested it on 5 different types of stains: blood (on a pillowcase from a nosebleed), armpit stain, ring around the collar, grease and random food stains on a toddler's shirt.


Safety pins show where each stain is. Clockwise from the top left: set-in blood, ring around the collar, food stains and grease stains
 I didn't get a picture of the armpit stain because I added that shirt to the pile after I took the picture. But, really, who needs to see that anyway? We all know what they look like.

Every stain was scrubbed with the homemade Oxi-clean for a minute or two. Then, I topped each stain off with a bit more of the homemade Oxi-clean and let everything soak for an hour. I used my usual All Free & Clear for laundering.

Fast forward about an hour and a half later and I finally get to pull the laundry out of the dryer to check out the results.

Results look pretty good! The safety pins show where the stains were.
Wow! It works!

The homemade Oxi-clean completely removed the arm pit stains, the ring around the collar and the grease.

It removed most of the toddler food stains. There is a bit left, but it doesn't show up in the picture. Still, I'd let my son wear the shirt out in public again since it no longer looks gross.

The blood stain is the only thing that didn't come out completely. It's still there, though it's much lighter. The stain was set in which may have affected the results. I think if I attack blood stains with the homemade Oxi-clean as soon as they happen, I'll have better results. 

I'm really loving combining Dawn dish washing detergent with other products to create homemade super cleaners!  Next up, a homemade shower cleaner using Dawn, hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol.
Have you tried any of these homemade cleaners yet?

If you're interested in Pinterest, but need an invitation, e-mail me at cleaningupclutter@gmail.com. I'll send you one!

4 comments:

  1. WOW...I have a teenage daughter who would LOVE this. Yep...she does her own laundry!! Thanks for the great post.
    Amy
    crazyclutterlady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do buy Oxiclean since I have a terrible track record at getting out stains, unlike my Mom who is a magician with spots. I will have to try this method and also your burned pot tip since the popcorn pot is looking pretty bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Micky - Ha! Now I know who to ask if I have a hard to remove stain on something!

    Amy - Good for you! That's one of my goals. I'm trying to get my 12-year-old son to do his own laundry too, but it's hit or miss right now. Once wrestling season is over, I want to make that one of his weekly chores. It's time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To get out blood - use peroxide on it. It won't hurt colored fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!