Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Homemade Shower Cleaner: Simple & Effective

You know that kind of sparkly clean some people have in their bathrooms when the sink, toilet and tub all look like they're brand new even though they're at least 20 years old?

I don't have that.

Even when my bathroom is at its cleanest, it doesn't sparkle. Does yours? (It doesn't count if your fixtures are actually brand new.)

Forget sparkly vampires, I've always wanted a sparkly bathroom. 

My friend Kristin told me a recipe for a homemade refill for the automatic shower cleaning sprayers exists. She buys an automatic cleaning unit, uses it, then refills it with her own concoction when its empty. I've been poking around the Internet with the help of Google to find some homemade cleaner recipes that might give me the bathroom of my dreams.

With little effort, I was able to find this recipe from Frugal Upstate.

One of the great things about these homemade cleaners is most of us have the ingredients on hand. I had to make one modification because I use white vinegar instead of Jet Dry in my dishwasher. I figure if it prevents spots on my dishes, it'll prevent spots in my tub, too.

I also needed to adjust the measurements so it fit into my spray bottle, which was an almost empty hydrogen peroxide bottle. Here's my recipe:
  • 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide
  • 1/3 cup rubbing alcohol
  • 5 drops Dawn dish washing detergent
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
  • 1 cup water
All of that filled my bottle to the top. I capped it and shook it to mix everything.

I bought this handy spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide at Walmart.
I sprayed it all over the shower, then cleaned the sink and toilet with it. The shower soaked while I wiped the sink and toilet clean. I'm excited to report, the sink was a bit sparkly when I finished! The tub and shower also had a few sparkles here and there.

I dried everything with a towel and added a thin layer of baby oil to the sink faucet to protect the sparkle. I've read and heard from several sources that you can coat your shower with a thin layer of car wax to protect it from soap scum. I may try this at some point.

Unfortunately, the built-up soap residue on both the sink and tub kept it from being a 100% success. That's something I need to work on. I think I'll try removing the soap scum with the baking soda and Dawn trick I used on the burned pot. Not today, though. I'm determined to work on my quilt today.

7 comments:

  1. This is a great trick for DIY maintenance of a shower. However sometimes baking soda and Dawn doesn't get out those well-set stains.

    For extreme conditions, we at Arman Expert recommend a more heavy-duty, professional approach of using pressure washers or deep-cleansing scrubs as shown on our tile and grout services page: http://www.armanexpert.com/services/tile/

    ReplyDelete
  2. By using a squeegee to clean the shower surround after each use, you eliminate mold growth and soap buildup which reduces the need for harsh cleaning chemicals.

    Click Here for Office Cleaning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these home cleaning recipes.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to wipe down the shower walls with a towel after each use to prevent mold from coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! We use a home made product similar to this ourselves and we use it on a commercial level lol, great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding a few drops of essential oil to that shower spray mixture really takes the edge off. :) I use lemongrass-- we always have it in the house and rub it on the dog to keep fleas away.
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would be a great help to my work. less expensive and also easy to make one. I will try this homemade shower cleaner.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!