Thursday, December 27, 2012

12 Things to Do in 2012: Update

Last January I wrote a list of resolutions called 12 Things to Do in 2012. Like all people that make resolutions, I pretty much forgot about the list within weeks, if not days, of writing it.

The new year is looming, if you haven't noticed, and resolutions are on my mind again. Before I make my new list, I thought I'd revisit my old one to either pat myself on the back for the things I did or be publicly humiliated for the things I didn't do.

1. Take a photography class. Done! I took a fantastic class at the local community college last spring, which catapulted an interest in amateur photography. I even bought a fancy new camera and have taken some photos I rather like. As an unexpected bonus, I've sold a few, along with articles I've written, to one of my on-line writing venues.

2. Be more industrious around the house. Hmm...I did some home improvement projects. I've started and almost finished painting the downstairs family room. We had the ceiling fixed and a piece of wall that had holes in it fixed. I learned how to glaze windows. I'd say I did no worse and no better than I had the year before.

3. Win the clutter war in the garage once and for all! Major fail. I don't want to talk about it.

4. Write more. I definitely wrote more in 2012 than I have in previous years. I didn't submit more to print magazines. I have a confidence problem in that regard. But, I was a very busy on-line writer. And, I've written an essay I rather like that's ready to send out into the big bad world of magazine publishing. Courage, please!

5. Help organize a community garden at my church. Done! It doesn't matter that only four of us participated. It was the most successful garden I've ever had and I'm looking forward to doing it again in 2013.

6. Hike several times with my family. We went once. And, it wasn't even the whole family. My husband wasn't there. My mother-in-law was, though, so it wasn't a total bust. My four-year-old needed a piggy back ride almost the whole way. After that, I wasn't too eager to lace up my hiking boots again. Maybe next year.

7. Take the family on a "bigger" vacation. Done! When I wrote my resolutions, I was thinking Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. We ended up shooting for the moon. We drove to Florida for a well-planned excursion that we don't regret. I'd do it again. But, not in 2013.

8. Make a quilt. It didn't happen. I'm going to pretend I never wrote that.

9. Make a shower curtain. Done! I even made matching window curtains for the bathroom. Yay me!

10. Go to at least one Hula Fit class to see what it's like. Also, didn't happen. I did, however, follow them on Facebook. But, I don't think that counts. I'm not really all that interested in hula hooping anymore. It was fun when my little guy was entertained by it. He couldn't care less these days. Anyway, I've taken up jogging and that's worth at least twice as many exercise points. 

11. Get a new laptop. Done! I don't miss typing on my old Netbook one bit!

12. Go to a writing or blogging conference somewhere. This didn't happen, either. I did, however, take two writing classes at the local community college. I think that was more what I needed, anyway.

Not a bad track record as far as resolutions go. How did you do with your 2012 resolutions?

13 comments:

  1. I followed them on Facebook. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, it's the best we can do, right?

      Delete
  2. I don't do resolutions. I do goals. With goals I move toward something, but resolutions seem like they are meant to be broken. Goals can happen any time.

    Having said that, I think you did well. Also you jogged, but I didn't see that on the list. You didn't have a blogging conference, but you inspired a blogging group on line and now I blog more consistently. Why I am still out of town and have blogged twice on my notebook computer.

    When I return home, my goal of going through the process in the book, The House That Cleans Itself, will return. Meanwhile I have new habits and have used that motivation out of town to help pick up wrappings, wash dishes, etc. Why I even make our bed, something I don't do often at home, but want to get into.

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say something very similar. A Resolution is a Goal. To often people do not treat their resolutions as goals, and they fail to craft a plan or they try to do to much too soon. If you have all of 2013 to accomplish something why not map it out and work toward it all year, with regular check backs on your progress. I think you did wonderfully on your 2012 Resolutions. You challenged yourself and while you didn't accomplish all of your list, I am sure that you learned a lot this year.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I feel very happy with all that I accomplished. I definitely learned a lot. It was a good year!

      Delete
    3. Carol - If someone had asked me last January if I would take up jogging in 2012, I would have said no way! lol I'm so glad I did, though. I can't believe I'm running regularly and feeling antsy when I don't get to go out.

      It sounds like you made a lot of progress in 2012, too!

      Delete
    4. OK, Barb, I am surrendering to becoming a list maker. It's my only hope for 2013 and beyond. Maybe you can call it a resolution, but I started today, after not getting much done yesterday. If I had had a list on Jan. 1, maybe I would have known what I checked off.

      Delete
    5. Carol - I couldn't live without my lists!

      Delete
  3. I have an uncanny knack for keeping resolutions. Not all of them, but at least 2 out 5. I even gave up eating meat one year and kept that up for 18 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Impressive, Rhea! Maybe you could share some of your resolution-keeping secrets?

      Delete
  4. Mum's the word on our shared fail re: garage clutter.

    But any way I can talk you into BlogHer (hosted this time in the greatest city on earth?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I haven't learned my lesson about the garage. I'm quite sure it's going to be on my 2013 list, too.

      Hmm...BlogHer conference is tempting! I really wanted to go last summer since it was in NYC, which is only 2.5 hours from me, but the timing didn't work. I've never been to Chicago...

      Delete
  5. I don't know what it is about the garage.. we all intend to keep it tidy but it always ends up the catch all. Good luck to you in 2013!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!