Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Writing and Thankfulness

I haven't felt much like writing lately. I don't know why, but that's a pretty unusual state for me. Not too many days go by without me wanting to write something, either here or elsewhere with the hopes of getting it published. I usually at least write something in my journal. At the very least, I make lists of things I want to write about.

I've tried to sit down and type out a few things only to discover the well was as dry as a bone. I was getting nothing but dust swirling around in an empty bucket. I had to scrape together what I could to do my monthly articles for Holidays Central.  

It got to the point that I was starting to get worried about it on some level. I normally always want to write, so what the heck?! I love to write. Being indifferent to it hurts in a weird way. Maybe because it's the way I get all the junk that floats around in my head out. When I don't do it, I feel a out of sorts. 

Finally, finally, the mood struck today. I don't know how, but it did. 

Only problem is, it's always hard to come up with ideas after a break. It's like once the faucet has been off for a while, it takes the water a bit of time to start running out again. First it comes as a few drops here and there, then a trickle, then a gush. Right now, I'm at the few drops stage. So bear with me while I figure out what to write about here in the next few days and weeks.

In the meantime, I thought I'd do a list of what I'm thankful for. I missed out on that in the month of November when everyone else was doing it. But, it's always a good time to be thankful, right?

I'm thankful for:

1. Clorox handy wipes. I have three boys with bad aim. Enough said.
2. The heated seats in our car. Whoever invented these deserves a medal. Seriously, I hope they're paying that guy or gal what they're worth!
3. My eight-year-old son reading willingly and happily on his own. Thank you J.K. Rowling.
4. Jogging. I never ever thought I'd be a runner. I've tried over the years, but it never stuck. However, I've been doing it since September and even ran in an informal, local 5k on Thanksgiving Day. I'm really loving it.
5. Fresh air. I don't think I could ever run or walk on a treadmill for exercise. I need good, old-fashioned, fresh air swooshing into my lungs. 
6. My iPod. I've been listening to a ton of music lately. How did I ever live without an iPod before?
7. Old friends. You all know who you are. :)
8. The fact that my little guy is potty trained. I know it's been over a year, but he was a late bloomer in this regard and I was pretty worn out from cleaning up after him. This is a huge one.
9. My 13-year-old kicking butt in his first wrestling match of the season. He went out on the mat with this calm, cool confidence he has (he doesn't get it from me) and pinned the guy in 25 seconds.
10. My kids and the kids I babysit getting along after school. After the fight incident a couple of months ago, this is a relief. They've been great lately!

What are you thankful for?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks I found this blog but I'm still looking forward to see the blog of Carpet and Hardwood Floor Cleaning Little Rock AR. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always timely to be thankful.

    You, Barb, are the one to inspire me to blog twice a week at least! Thanks for doing that!

    I just thought with your writing classes you were writing elsewhere. Never realized there was a writer's block going on.

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol - That was part of it, but the class ended a few weeks ago and I haven't done much since then. Glad I inspire you to write!

      Delete

Thanks!