Saturday, December 27, 2008

Resolving to Clean Up the Clutter


We have a clutter problem in our house. Sometimes we are good at keeping it hidden. But if you look behind closed doors, you will see the sad, messy truth. Not only do we have too much stuff, but it's disorganized stuff.

Disorganized messes make me feel anxious. I get really frustrated when I can't find a screwdriver even though I know we have at least thirty of them. We probably have more than that. Things are so cluttered in our garage and our utility room that I don't know how many screwdrivers we actually own. Is that typical?

I am resolving to do something about the clutter this year. However, I don't have a lot of time to tackle this mess. I've got three boys. The youngest isn't even a year old yet. The oldest is nine and the other one is right in the middle. Add to that a husband, a dog, a cat and my growing freelance writing career and I don't have a lot of spare time.

I think (hope) I can devote fifteen minutes a day to deal with our clutter issues. I'll take it one day at a time and do the best I can. At the very least, I'm confident I can put a dent in the mess. My ultimate hope is that I have all of our secret clutter stashes tidy and organized enough to actually be able to stop praying that my dog doesn't push the utility room door open when we have company over.

Here's to a cleaner house in 2009! Wish me luck.


6 comments:

  1. Good luck!!
    I will try and join you- I could use some de-cluttering too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck!! I'm definitely joining you!! I'm starting with my computer desk since that's where I spend a lot of time!!! Off to set the timer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my resolutions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! If I can do it, you can too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your utility looks like my garage...it's where all the clutter goes to die. I'm with you mama and good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!