Monday, January 26, 2009

Linen Closet

The linen closet is another area in my home that has been neglected for the past two years. The sheets and towels are all crammed in every which way. It's so bad that I usually can't find a matched set of sheets when I need one. I end up putting mismatched sheets and pillowcases on the beds. I asked for sheets for Christmas a year ago when I was pregnant with the baby. I ended up getting four sets. But, I never weeded out the old, threadbare sheets. It's definitely time for those to get tossed. I saved the pillowcases because we seem to use those a lot and they are still in decent shape.

This closet only needed 15 minutes, so it's now completely done. I sorted the towels and sheets. There are two shelves above the towels. I put all the beach towels on the top one and all the bath towels on this one.

I read a neat tip on Martha Stewart's website awhile ago. She suggests that you fold the top and bottom sheet together and store them inside the matching pillowcase. That way, the whole set is together and you won't have to search for each piece. I did this as much as I could. As the mismatched sheets that are on the beds now get washed and come out of the laundry, I'll put them with their mates.

3 comments:

  1. Could you store your spare sheets between the mattress and box springs of their respective beds? That would free up a lot of space in the linen closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I really need to do. Our linen closet has been calling out to be decluttered for many months, now. Yours looks great after the transformation! Guess I need to tackle mine, too! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathirynne - That's a great idea! I think it will work especially well for the boys' beds since they only have one extra set of sheets each.

    Kivyn - If you are up for it, take before and after pictures and I'll post them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!