Friday, March 6, 2009

The Kitchen Cabinets

This post is partly about cleaning and partly a product review for the Scotch-Brite Easy Erasing Pad. It was just about impossible to get before and after pictures of the outside of my kitchen cabinets. You had to look closely to see the grime around the door knobs and the food splatters on the lower cabinets. None of it showed up in the pictures.

The cabinets looked just like this in the after picture. In real life, I can see that they are cleaner, so it wasn't a wasted effort.


This is what the Scotch-Brite Easy Erasing Pad looked like right out of the package. The white side looks and feels like a thin Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. The blue side is a sponge, which the package recommends be used to wipe up the residue left behind by the white side.


Almost immediately, I was disappointed in the Scotch-Brite Easy Erasing Pad. I cleaned the top cabinets first. Other than some grime around the knobs, they weren't that dirty. I wasn't doing any heavy scrubbing, but the white side of the pad felt like it was disintegrating as I worked. I had cleaned less than half of the cabinets when a large chuck fell off.

By the time I was done cleaning all the cabinets, there wasn't much left on the white side of the Scotch-Brite Easy Erasing Pad. It did scrub most of the dried on food and fingerprint grime off of the cabinets, but each time I put a little pressure on the sponge, a chunk fell off. The blue side held up fine, but as far as sponges go, it wasn't a particularly good one. I tried to use it to wipe the white residue off the cabinets and it didn't work very well. I had to wipe the cabinets with a damp rag when I had finished with the Easy Erasing Pad.

As a comparison, I used one Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the entire kitchen floor over a two day period. The Magic Eraser held up much better. As a matter of fact, there was enough of it left that I plan on using it to scrub my shower when I get a chance.

I bought the Scotch-Brite Easy Erasing Pad at Wal-mart today. I was looking for a Magic Eraser, but they were sold out. The next time, I think I'll save my money and wait to get a Magic Eraser.

1 comment:

  1. Your kitchen cabinets are so beautiful!! I have similar design of my kitchen cabinets!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!