Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Trying to Make a Lego Bag and Play Mat

I've got this vision of a large, round, Lego playmat that has a drawstring. When the boys are done playing, they can simply pull the drawstring and turn the mat into a bag that we can hang on the wall for easy storage. I didn't come up with this on my own. It was mentioned at a La Leche League meeting several months ago. It seems that I didn't quite understand the design because today, I tried to make my own Lego bag and it was a total flop.
I bought some material at a garage sale this weekend. I'm glad I didn't spend a lot of money on it. I was sure this design would work! I folded the material in half and used a hula hoop as a pattern. When unfolded, the material covered two-thirds of my kitchen table. I thought it would make a decent-sized bag.


I hemmed all the way around the edge. I folded the material over twice so it had a nice, finished edge. Then, I strung a piece of yarn on a safety pin and guided it through the hem. I intend to replace the yarn with something better later.

The bag is so little. It's only about ten inches deep. It's not going to hold many Legos! It also does not open and close easily. I'm sure my four-year-old wouldn't be able to get it to lay flat in order to use it as a play mat.

My fifteen minutes was spent cleaning up from my project today. I'm back to the drawing board, too. I still like the idea of a Lego bag. I think if I can find a round table cloth, I'll put tabs around the edge for a drawstring. Maybe that will work. Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. I was also thinking of doing this -- I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! And no ideas. It's discouraging to see how small this ends up being. (and a google search brought me here ... the power of the internet!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!