Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Getting Ready for a Garage Sale

I wasn't going to do a garage sale this year. I've done them before and really don't enjoy all the work that's involved. But, a church in our neighborhood has organized a community-wide garage sale. This is the motivation I need to get some stuff together that hasn't made it to Goodwill yet. I'm hoping to unload some of our larger items, like an old treadmill and snowblower.

The garage sale is scheduled for June 6th. I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks getting ready for it. I think I'll set everything up in my garage just in case the weather is bad that day.

Truthfully, any garage sale I've ever had has been kind of a flop. I'm going to have to do some research to figure out what I need to do to improve my luck. Any tips?

1 comment:

  1. I am just getting ready for a yard sale in a few weeks as well. I actually love doing yard sales and some things that I think are important are:
    1. advertise (craigslist, newspaper, signs)
    2. display things so that people can easily go through them.....if you are selling clothes don't just throw them on a table. Hang them up and let people see them.
    3. be willing to negotiate
    4. don't mark things too high....I always figure it is better to get a quarter for something than have to haul it to good will. I don't bring anything back into the house afterwards....if it doesn't sell I donate it. Sometimes people will even come and pick up all the leftovers (I have seen ads on craigslist.
    5. organization is key! Price tags on everything will be much easier on you and the customer.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!