Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hello, My Name is Barb and I Don't Like to Make My Bed

There, I said it. I've never been a faithful bed maker. Sometimes I go through phases where I do it on most days, but, more often than not, I let it go. I'm just going to mess it up again the next night, right? My sister, on the other hand, hasn't missed a day of bed making since she was 7 years old. She probably made her bed in the hospital after she gave birth to her babies. I admire her life-long habit, but not so much that I'm going to change.


I do love how the bedrooms look when the beds are made. That one, simple chore can make the bedroom much tidier. So, today's challenge for myself is to make all of the beds in the house. I'm going to take it a step further and change all the sheets and pillowcases, too. I really love the feeling of sleeping on fresh, clean sheets.
Since I've never been a stickler for making my own bed, I don't require the boys to make theirs either. My ten-year-old's bed looks like this most days.




Here it is with clean sheets, a clean pillowcase and neatly made. I don't do hospital corners or anything crazy like that. My son is an avid reader and he keeps a stack of books on his bed that he's working on at the time. I piled everything back on the bed for him. He'll be nice and cozy tonight.

I'm going to make the rest of the beds throughout the day today. I'll post an update later after I've finished. Anyone up for the bedmaking challege today?

Update: It's a minor miracle! All of the beds in my house are made. This kind of thing usually only happens when we are expecting company. And even then, I sometimes simply close the bedroom doors instead of make the beds. Maybe I need to challenge myself to make the beds everyday for a month. Except, I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet. I just don't feel the burning desire to make all the beds everyday. How about you? Are you a bedmaker? Or, do you like the already slept-in feel to a bed? And, a final question because I'm curious - do you insist that your kids make their beds?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!