Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Today's Challenge: Decluttering Clothing

I'm participating in a consignment sale for children's things and, to get the metal hangers I needed for the clothing, I raided the closet I share with my husband. This forced me to really take stock of what we've got. We have too many clothes that we never wear. How lucky we are to live where we do and have more than enough?

But, that means it's time to look at these clothes with a critical eye. I have 25 less hangers, so I need to get rid of 25 items of clothing. And, because I'm in a real decluttering mood, I think I'll double that and get rid of 50 things. I know I can find 50 things that we don't wear. It will be so nice to be able to find the clothes I actually do wear without having to paw through everything else.

Anyone with me today? I'll post my results with a picture later.

2 comments:

  1. Barbara I also have a clutter problem. And your tactic of 15 minutes a day is inspiring. I just found this blog. This summer before the girls went back to school I made them go through their clothes and we got rid of 6 garbage bags of clothes that didn't fit or that they didn't like. Their clothes are busting out of the closet and the dressers again though, so I think its time to make sure we have the summer clothes put away (and only store what currently fits or can be grown into, for the little one), and go through the fall winter and get rid of what they don't wear, or doesn't fit so we have an idea of what they do have and need.

    My 15 minutes tonight will be spent on my dinning room table. I haven't seen that since we got the table (10 years ago). In my house every flat surfact becomes clutter space. I want to change that.

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome, Tree Hugging Mama! And, thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. Kids clothes seem to multiply on their own, don't they? I went through the boys' clothes at the beginning of the summer, too. It's amazing how fast they accumulate and how fast they grow out of what they've got. Good luck with your decluttering. You can do it! 15 minutes a day really does make an impact!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!