Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Freezer: Take Two

It's been eight months since I cleaned the freezer and it shows. It's packed with lots of frozen veggies and herbs from the CSA that we joined this summer. Just in case you don't know, CSA stands for Community Sponsored Agriculture. Last spring, we bought a produce share through a local, organic farm and all summer long we've picked up a box of fresh produce and herbs each week at the farmers' market. I was a bit nervous to try it and worried that we wouldn't use everything or wouldn't get much in our box each week to make it worth it, but it has been fantastic. The whole family loves it. We've got two boxes left this season and are planning on signing up again next year.

Anyway, we were getting so many fresh herbs, that I started putting them in the freezer. When I was really busy, I wasn't even putting them in a bag. I tossed the herbs directly in there, unprotected. So, I had sage, dill, parsley and cilantro all over the place. And, I've learned that dill seems to fall apart when it's frozen, so that really was all over everything.
You can see that I've still got the frozen turkey I had last February.


The freezer is still packed, but now there's more order to it and the turkey is being defrosted. We'll eat it early next week!

I'm having a lot of fun with the fresh, frozen and dried herbs. For over a year now, I've belonged to a website called Herbmentor. I have to pay a small, monthly membership fee, but that gives me full access to lots of information about herbs and how to use them medicinally. There's also lots of great herbal recipes for food and herbal medicine. It's been really fun. I definitely recommend it if you have any interest in herbs to support your family's health!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!