Monday, December 21, 2009

Go, Snails, Go!

Whew! I finally finished the toy I was making for my toddler son for Christmas. I'm happy I still have enough time left over to complete my wrapping, cookie baking and cleaning without having to pull an all-nighter on Christmas Eve. Christmas is in FOUR days. My two older sons give me the countdown at least twice a day. I think they're hoping they'll catch me feverishly wrapping gifts when they get off the school bus. Here's a shot of the finished project. It's a snail racing game. I was going to make a large floor pillow with an applique of his name, like I've made for his two older brothers in previous years. I had all the material washed and ready to go, went to JoAnne's last week to buy the pillow form and found out they don't sell them anymore. I think I can still find one somewhere, but not in time for Christmas. That left me short one present for the toddler. I didn't want to spend any more money, so I surfed around on some crafting blogs. I found this super cute idea at Ric-Rac. Since it's made mostly from scraps, I had everything on hand and was able to use up some crafting clutter. I'm an amateur crafter, at best. But, I think I pulled it off!
I really wish I was a better photographer, because the snails are much cuter than they look here! This is one of the snails at the finish line. The snails are racing from the sun, which they don't like, to the cool leaves at the end. We'll flip a coin to move along the track. Heads will move a snail one space, tails two.

5 comments:

  1. That is adorable! What a cute idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable. You have some lucky kids. I still have much to do, including mailing packages which I forgot to bring with me to work today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb, I love that they are racing back to the cool of the leaves... Isn't it great when you can do a whole project from stuff you have on hand ! I hope he loves ittoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Tree Hugging Mama!

    Jodie - Thank you for posting such a cute tutorial on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!