Thursday, January 21, 2010

Before Flylady, There was Heloise

Our local newspaper runs the Hints from Heloise column every Sunday. A couple of weeks ago, I read a great cleaning tip that I've been trying to implement in my house. Unfortunately, I didn't save the piece, but the basic idea is that you do 5 things at a time. If you walk into a room, pick up 5 things, spend 5 minutes cleaning, 5 minutes decluttering or throw 5 things away, etc. If this becomes a habit, the house will stay tidy. That is no where near an exact quote, but you get the idea.

This morning, I checked out the Heloise website. She's been at this a long time and her website is a great resource for cleaning tips and inspiration! I'm going to bookmark it so I can refer to it again and again.

I finished the 14-article challenge at Suite101 yesterday and, as predicted, my house has suffered. Though, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Today, I'm going to put Heloise's tip into action and spend 5 minutes cleaning each room. Here's to a cleaner house by the end of the day!

2 comments:

  1. YES!! My mom (who was super at keeping things neat) was a great fan of Hints from Heloise, & I think she even sent in an idea that got published! Great reminder of these practical ideas! My mom was on crutches from having had polio, HAD worked in an office, but then was a 50s stay-at home when I came along - she picked up daily, washed dishes after each meal, & had regular days for wash, etc.
    Somehow thinking of Heloise reminded me of a tip I found in a cleaning book - to open doors & or windows when your cleaning it - let it air! & they sug. doing this any time of year, at least for a few minutes :) Great to do during those little 5 minute 'blasts' - & really does make a room feel fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what the 2nd comment says, but thanks for commenting!

    Dia - I secretly envy those 1950s-era housewives who made it all seem so easy! I LOVE the fresh air idea! I'm going to do starting today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!