Tuesday, February 23, 2010

So That's What Happens When You Burn Oatmeal

I don't usually burn food onto pots and pans when I'm cooking, but now and again, I'll forget that I've got something on the stove and make a mess. This time, it happened with oatmeal. I got distracted by getting my kids ready for school and burned their breakfast. They ended up having toast, which they like better anyway.
This is a picture of the pot after I'd already cleaned the worst of the burned oatmeal out. I soaked it a few times, scrubbed it and seriously considered throwing it in the garbage. But, I'm a bit sentimental about it. It was a gift from my grandmother who is no longer with us. And, it happens to be one of my favorites because it's a convenient size. I really wanted to save it!
The four things I used to scrub it clean are:
  1. Baking soda - This is a great scouring powder. It's eco-friendly and cheap, so I didn't care how much I used. And, I used a lot.
  2. Salt - Salt is another great scouring agent. Back when I waitressed, we cleaned out coffee pots with salt, ice and fresh lemon juice. I rotated using salt and baking soda on the pot. I'm not sure why, it just seemed like the right thing to do.
  3. Magic Eraser - I love these things. They really do work to remove built-up crud that other scrubbing pads don't seem to get.
  4. Elbow Grease - I used to hate it when my mom would tell me to use elbow grease to clean something. But, I seriously used a lot of it to get this pot clean. I don't even know how long it took me, but I would work on it for about ten minutes, soak it overnight, work on it a bit more, soak it, etc. It spent many nights soaking in my sink.
Ta-da! Here's my pot looking shiny and almost like new. This is probably the most difficult and time consuming cleaning project on this blog!

6 comments:

  1. Looks great. I've burned more things than I care to admit. Too much experience in this department, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice... that's my food product of choice to burn LOL. And I've had at least one pan come out looking like that! Kudos on salvaging it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I use baking soda as a cleaning agent all the time, I have never heard of the salt trick. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh! I love a shiny clean pot!
    I still haven't tried the Magic Eraser yet- I might just have to :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY COW! What a transformation!

    Sadie@
    nelliebugs-swaps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!