Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Reduce, Reuse and Recycle

My son's school did a presentation this morning about recycling. It was great for him to see someone other than me talk about taking responsibility for our extra stuff. They talked about recycling plastic, soda cans and clothes.

I've been thinking a lot about how we treat the Earth lately. Whether you believe in global warming or not, it's still crucial for all of us to take a bit more responsibility for our little corner of the world. I got a neat book out of the library called 1001 Little Ways to Save the Planet by Esme Floyd. It's filled with great tips like taking your own ceramic mug to work (or elsewhere) instead of using the throw-away styrofoam cups, use parchment paper instead of foil for cooking and avoid using foil if possible. If you do use foil, wash it and resuse it. It seems that foil has a high environmental cost because it goes through a lot of processes to manufacture.

I think a lot of evironmentally friendly tips are also good clutter controlling tips. The two go hand in hand, for sure!

I know that I've tried to send our clutter elsewhere whenever I could. Whether it's books, clothes or old computer equipment, it's always best to find someone that can reuse it or some way to recycle it.

Living green and being responsible for the environment is something that gets a lot of press right now. Has it affected your life? Are you living greener than you were before? What are your favorite tips for living a greener life?

2 comments:

  1. Reusable tote bags. They are wonderfully easy to acquire, most of mine being freebies advertising everything from Skeecher shoes to Half-Priced Books. And not only does it help the planet by reducing waste, it helps with my home environment, by keeping that one source of clutter out of my home.
    When I do forget my totes, I reuse the plastic bags for trash bags, picking up doggie messes and such. But still a lot fewer of them are coming into my house than used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I love my reusable cloth bags! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!