Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Spice Cupboard: Before & After

It seems the last time I cleaned the spice cupboard was January 2009. Yikes. No wonder it's a mess again. Honestly, it's been over a year since I've thoroughly cleaned the whole kitchen and most of it needs deep cleaning again. I'm tired of yeast and cocoa powder falling on my head every time I look for a spice, so today, I'm tackling the spice cupboard.
OK, it doesn't look too bad in the picture. But, trust me, it's a mess. A package of yeast spilled on the middle shelf and it's been there for awhile. There's cocoa powder and salt strewn about. And, you might be able to spot some random office supplies thrown in for good measure.
The spices are cleaned up, but I have to reserve a spot in this cupboard for the scissors, the stapler and the double-sided sticky tape because, well, I have a two-year-old. If left within easy access, the stapler will get broken, the scissors will be used to cut curtains, furniture or the dog's fur and the tape will get stuck to surfaces that it's impossible to remove it from. The bonus is that I can always find these office supplies when I need them now. I've trained the older boys to put them away after they use them. I'm guessing they fear for the safety of their stuffed animals, so they willingly comply.

1 comment:

  1. You know scissors were a big problem when my daughter was younger (even the saftey scissors) she loved to cut her hair, her BFFs hair and shirts. I never did find a convenient place to keep them that I could easily locate them, the spice cupboard makes perfect sense and I wish you thought of that 10 years ago ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!