Friday, June 18, 2010

This is Why I Keep the Scissors in the Spice Cupboard

While my oldest son and I were at a school function last night, my husband was in charge of the two-year-old and six-year-old boys. He thought it would be a good idea to get some yard work done while the boys played outside. It sounds good in theory. But, somehow the toddler got his hands on a pair of scissors and used them to cut the sunflowers and lilies that were growing on the south side of the house. He cut them in half, destroying any chance they'll have to bloom this year.
Excuse the weeds in the picture. You can see the sunflower stalks that were chopped down. I am heartbroken. In fact, I was so heartbroken last night that I cried. And, I don't cry easily. I tend to be quite stoic about things most of the time. But, I've coddled these plants and they were healthy and gorgeous. They were just starting to get small buds in the center of the leaf cluster.

I still have some sunflowers left, but they are the little, scraggly plants that I didn't have much hope for. This morning, I fertilized, weeded and watered them. I'm hoping they'll find their inner strength and grow and bloom beautifully. (It sounds like there's a parenting metaphor in there somewhere, but I'm too upset over the loss of my sunflowers to bother to dig it out.)

This is the perfect example of why I leave the scissors in the spice cupboard. I don't know who left the scissors out where the toddler could get to them, but if I find out, the offending person is grounded for a month!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry about your sunflowers. I have no hopes of any real flowers this year, but I do hope to finish mapping and planning so I can have lots of flowers (Sunflowers Included) next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tree Huggin Mama. I'm feeling better now, though I'm quite surprised at how much losing my sunflowers affected me. Hope we both have beautiful gardens dripping with flowers next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    I just came across your blog this morning and I just had to say something about this--I feel awful for you!! As a gardener, I know that it's a huge deal when any flowers or vegetables make it against all odds (rabbits, bugs, groundhogs, etc.) to become beautiful, blooming plants!

    As I read your post, my hand covered my mouth in disbelief. I feel for you.

    If I were you, I'd head to the nearest nursery and find some seedlings to plant--just to give you a little pick-me-up, if nothing else.

    Good luck with that!!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Erin. We're planning on going to a nursery this weekend to get a few things to replace them. I'm not sure I can find sunflower seedlings at this point, but maybe something else. The sunflowers that looked scraggly seem to have perked up quite a bit since I fertalized them yesterday. I think they might make it after all. There's only four of them, but still, it's something!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!