Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Four Reasons Why I Need Ice Cream Right Now

We're most definitely having a heat wave. My family has been getting through it by liberally eating ice cream to cool down. I admit that I'm also using ice cream to self-medicate some stress. It's helping a lot. The list of things that are making me stressed are:

1. Our boiler died and needs to be replaced. This is not a cheap project. We decided to go through a state program that will pay half if we get an Energy Star boiler. This is a good thing, but it means that it will take a month before the project is complete. We don't have any hot water in the meantime. On the bright side, it's July and hotter than hell out there right now, so it's not like we need the heat and the cold showers have been quite refreshing.

2. Our new neighbors have proven to be somewhat immature and un-neighborly. It's a long story, but the summary is that we are now on edge and feeling annoyed that these college-aged kids bought a house in our neighborhood where we have lived for almost nine years surrounded by friendly neighbors (mostly other families with children and a few retired couples). The good thing here is that...hmm...I'm not sure there is a good thing, but it's been too hot to play outside, so we haven't had to see them.

3. The heat wave has made the kids cranky and the two year old clingy. He doesn't understand that clinging to mom when it's 95+ degrees isn't going to make him feel better. The silver lining here is that we set up a sprinkler in the back yard and have had lots of fun . I've also remembered to water my garden every day. It loves the heat and looks like the best garden I've ever had!

4. On this, one of the hottest days of the year, I decided to clean out under the kitchen stove. It wasn't pretty, but it needed to be done. I honestly think this is the dirtiest it's ever been under the stove. I'm almost embarrassed to post the picture.
It's been a bit over a year since I last cleaned this area of the kitchen. It looks like it was long overdue. Maybe this should be done every six months? What do you do?

Much better. I feel really good about this, though I'm dripping in sweat. Time for that ice cream!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you did a great job. You must have used a lot of cleaning supplies to get the dirt and dust out of the cracks on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a vacuum and some soapy water, but thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm honestly surprised that you had a disorganized closet. How did that happen? :) I put all my camping supplies in a rubbermaid -- cooking utensils, leftover paper plates, matches, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It happens, Rachel! We used to have all of our camping supplies in a rubbermaid, but we outgrew that a few kids ago - lol. Too many sleeping bags, tents, pie irons, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just happened upon your blog today - looking forward to reading more. I clean under the stove once a week when I mop - with two dogs and a cat in the house it gets furry under there if I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, every week?! Ok, I'm being a huge slacker, then!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!