Thursday, July 22, 2010

Walking Pneumonia AGAIN! What the Heck?!

I've been fighting a cold, which mostly consisted of a horrific cough, for two weeks. I still felt mostly OK, but the coughing was driving me nuts, so I went to the doctor and found out that I have walking pneumonia again. I had it a year and a half ago and was quite sick then, so I was very surprised to find out this was the same thing. The doc thought I was beating it on my own and was reluctant to prescribe an antibiotic. I'm usually on board with that philosophy, so when he told me to come back a few days later if I wasn't better, I left thinking I could kick it. That night, I felt like there was a brick on my chest. I called the doctor back in the morning and he called in a prescription for me.

In the meantime, I tried to throw every home remedy I had at the illness. Garlic, chicken soup, elderberry syrup and tea. It seems that one can actually have too much garlic. I'd been taking about two to three cloves a day for a week or so. Yesterday, as I waited for my prescription, I took six throughout the day. That was a mistake that ended in my husband calling the ambulance because I was shaking, had a racing heart, felt like I couldn't breath and was covered in a seriously itchy rash from head to toe. The symptoms came on fast and I started to feel like I was going to have an anaphylactic reaction. Luckily, the paramedics got here quickly and took my pulse and blood pressure. My pulse was a bit fast, but started to slow and my BP was fine. The symptoms began to go away after about ten minutes or so. I took a Benadryl and my antibiotic. I was feeling well enough to not go to the hospital and feel even better this morning, though I am still not 100%. I think I'm at about 80%.

I'm really frustrated that I got walking pneumonia again. I hate it. I know I'll feel completely better in a few days, but I've been trying to take care of kids, keep a busy, summer schedule with daily swim lessons and more than a few parties, do housework and try to stay up late enough each night to get some writing done. Needless to say, I'm not getting much writing done. By the end of the day, I'm wiped out. Now I know why.

I think I have to deal with stress a bit better so that I don't leave myself vulnerable to illness like this. I've been highly stressed lately and this illness seemed to follow fast on the heels of a couple of the most stressful situations. Sigh.

For the next couple of days, I'm going to take it a little easier. I won't try to do everything every single day and I have to stop thinking about all the little situations that bring me stress. How do you learn to just BE?

4 comments:

  1. Can't help you on the stress end, but consider adding naturual pro and pre biotics to your routine its supposed to support your immune system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read about pro & pre biotics a bit, but never got into them. Maybe now is the time. What do you take? And, where do you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! You poor thing! I'm SO SORRY to hear about your illness. I had pneumonia last year, and came thisclose to another episode of it this year, but was able to avoid it. It is no fun, at all, and I feel just awful for you! Walking from my bed, down a fliht of stairs, to the couch, just about did me in. I'll be saying lots of prayers for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Leanne. I hope neither one of us gets it again, ever! I'm feeling much better today. My new antibiotic is working.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!