Friday, December 24, 2010

Decluttering Advent Day 24: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas Eve

I cannot believe it's Christmas Eve already. My kids are convinced the day is dragging, but I'm thinking it's going too fast. This is, by far, my favorite day of the holiday season. Christmas Day, while nice, typically gets hectic and feels overwhelming for me, though I wish it didn't. I miss those Christmases when I was a kid when we went to my grandparent's house for a sit-down Christmas meal, played board games and enjoyed each other's company. While I have tried very hard to carve out a sense of that same peace for my kids on Christmas, it ends up being chaotic by the end of the day. Without going into any detail for my reasons, I think next year, I'm going to change how we do things in our house a bit. I really, really miss having a sit-down Christmas dinner and I'm going to go ahead and have one for my immediate family. It just seems like the right thing to do and I kind of regret not planning it for this year. To me, the meal is a time to pause and take the focus off of the presents for a bit.

I hope I'm not coming across as melancholy on this special day. So, on that note, I'm going to end my post, do my decluttering and enjoy the day.

December 24
Get Ready for Christmas Day!

Today is the last day of Advent and the last day of the Cleaning Up the Clutter Advent Calendar. As you’re rushing around finishing up last minute Christmas preparations, give your house a critical look. What needs attention? Is the entrance a mess? Do the bedrooms need some TLC? Is the living room in order? Today isn’t the day for heroic cleaning efforts. But, it’s likely that you can find 15 minutes for one last decluttering session. Focus on the spot that needs some love the most, especially if it’s one that will be visible tomorrow. Don’t worry about hidden clutter. If there’s no one particular spot that needs attention, do another 15-minute general declutter of the whole house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!