Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Poetry?! Really?

I have a love/hate relationship with poetry. I think it all stems from bad memories of high school English class. You see, I never seemed to get out of poetry what I was supposed to. I was always wrong when I tried to interpret it. But, because I was a good test taker (when I wanted to be), I would study what the teacher told us the poems meant and get a decent grade. However, when we had to write our own poetry, I always seemed to come up short in the grade department. The more poetic classmates seemed to just get it, while I did not.

To this day, poetry makes me uncomfortable. Which is odd because I love to read. I'm mean, I really, really LOVE to read. And, I don't think I'm lacking in sophistication in the things I choose to read. I've read and enjoyed War & Peace, for instance. If that doesn't make me a sophisticated reader, I don't know what does.

All this to say that it's the rare poem that I enjoy, but when I like a poem, I love it. For example, I've always loved Edgar Allan Poe's Annabel Lee, but beyond that and a few other poem's I stumble upon, I don't much care for it. However, one of my real life friends is a poet. I honestly don't know her very well, but she posts links to her poetry site on Facebook. Out of curiosity, I sometimes read. Someone that commented on one of her writing prompts left a link to this poem about lists.  Finally, a poem I enjoy and it seems to fit in with the Cleaning Up the Clutter theme!  If I ever write a book about cleaning, maybe I can get permission to use it. Of course, my high school English teacher would probably say it wasn't about to-do lists at all. It's probably really about dogs or something.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that I am a retired English teacher whose rap on the junk of old people on my blog you enjoyed. When I substitute teach, students also enjoy this rap."You're stuck with the junk in the trunk, bins, baskets boxes galore. . . ." You can put it here if you mention the author.
    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!