Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The House is Getting Away From Me...

I don't know what the deal is lately, but it seems like the house has gotten away from me. I'm only doing the bare minimum as far as housekeeping goes. I'm behind on laundry, barely caught up on dishes, behind on cleaning and my decluttering has been nonexistent. It might be post-Christmas burnout. Or, I might have a bit of winter doldrums. Or, maybe I'm just busy with other things.

What I have been doing is making an effort to exercise more. I put several work-out videos in my Netflix instant queue and I'm doing a different one each morning. I'm trying to spend one-on-one time with each of my boys every day. And, I'm reading a good book called The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (thanks to my sister-in-law, Jenny, for recommending it). I've also been writing. But, I have not been cleaning, at least not much.

I thought printing the Motivated Moms free sample page would give me the kick in the rear I needed to clean more everyday. My plan was to spend last week doing the cleaning checklist and then report back here with my review. To sum it up in one sentence, I wasn't very motivated!  I think it's hard for me to work with someone else's cleaning checklist. My theory is that our homes are all different, our families are all different and we all have different cleaning tasks that are more important to us or more necessary than others. I made a good effort to complete the checklist on Monday, but didn't have time to get to everything.  Unfortunately, the only thing that left me with was guilt.

With my minimal efforts, my house has been slowly becoming a mess. Today, the kids had a snow day. Without going into too much detail, I'll just say that it was the last thing my house needed!  The picture sums it up nicely.

Tomorrow is a new day. I'm not going to leave the house until I've put things in order. I think I'll put my own cleaning list together in the morning. Anyone else having trouble finding their cleaning motivation lately?   

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Barb,
    Thanks for being real. Do you have someone to check on you weekly or each day who will be honest with you? Of course you do have us 119 Google followers who can check on you. But do any of those come to your home? It's kinda like if we have a NEW cleaning/clutter strategy we do something, but humdrum house work doesn't cut it. That's where I like to use FlyLady. Maybe we all need more company at the house so we buck up.

    Accountability. My friend "Sally" and I are checking each other weekly. Each day we are trying to eat healthy, drink water, walk if we can and find Scripture that speaks to us for that day. I don't have a clutter buddy, however, but I guess my husband is that clutter buddy. When the garage got cleaned out from the garage sale so the the car could get in there, a covered pool table got some of the garage junk, mainly books. He is bugging me so he can play pool! I am trying to do something, rather than just move the stuff again.

    I think this is going to be a lifetime challenge for some of us--hence your whole blog about clutter. We believe in you, Barb. Buck up, girlfriend. Be our leader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, a new strategy does tend to help with the motivation! Maybe I should do a bit of Flylady again. I am feeling much better now, though. All of the Legos are picked up and put away, the kitchen is clean and 3 baskets of laundry are folded and put away. Thank you so much for the pep talk!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!