Monday, January 10, 2011

National Clean Off Your Desk Day

Whether your desk is in an office, at home or you're lucky enough to have one in both locations, today is the day to clean it off and put it in order. A desk lends itself nicely to the Cleaning Up the Clutter philosophy.  You can make a big impact in desk-top clutter by cleaning for fifteen, uninterrupted minutes. Gather a garbage can, a box for paper recyclables and a timer and get to work. Here are some desk cleaning tips to help you make the most of your time:

Recycle all papers that are no longer needed and throw away garbage.

Photo courtesy of Mconnors at Morguefile. 
Use a desk-top organizer to stack papers in to piles based on importance. When I worked full-time in an office, I had piles for the current day's work, work that was waiting for a response or more information from someone else and work that had to be done soon, but wasn't urgent. Before children, I was a secretary in a very large school district in North Carolina. I had to be organized and keep things flowing smoothly. 

Organize pens, pencils and a message pad near the phone.

Use a disinfecting wipe to clean off the desktop. Using disinfecting wipes can help reduce the number of bacteria and other germs on many office surfaces by up to 99.9 percent, including your desk top. While your at it, clean off the phone, too. This is especially important if other people in the office use your phone on a regular basis.

National Clean Off Your Desk Day will help you get a jump start on the new year with a clean, organized desk top! 

5 comments:

  1. 15 minutes won't even put a dent in my piles. The 4 years I have worked here I haven't seen the desk top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to have found your blog. If you have an extra fifteen minutes could you come on over an' do a few clean-ups for me? 'Course, I can see that I'm also gonna' learn some things from you. Thanks.

    ~ Yaya

    ReplyDelete
  3. very essential tips here.recycling helps to lessen the stack of papers and other stationery also donating and throwing unnecessary junk.E paper and e saving of all files may help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips. I think I will email a link to your this post to everyone in the office. we could certainly do with putting these tips in action!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A National Clean Off Your Desk Day? I must say, that it is one cool holiday! :-) I think offices and establishments should make it a point to celebrate this day, not just once a year, but the whole year round! As simple as cleaning your desk and putting away unnecessary objects can do the trick.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!