Friday, February 18, 2011

Experimenting with Paint

Change can be hard and I can become gripped with self-doubt when I do things like paint my house. Why? I don't know!  But, I have a feeling it has something to do with that perfectionism thing I blogged about a few weeks ago. What I'm learning is that I have to push through that feeling and make those changes I need to make. And, if it looks terrible when I'm done painting, it's not the end of the world. Likely, it won't look any worse than it did! 
The cabinets are taped, primed and ready to paint!
As you can see, there's no turning back in the bathroom now! I used spray-on Kilz primer. I managed to just barely get one coat on everything before the can was empty. In hindsight, for indoor jobs like this, I'm not going to use a spray-on primer again. I had to do extra taping and cover more things with newspaper than I would have if I were using a paint-on primer. I also didn't seem to get nice, even coverage. That's probably my inexperience with spray paint, but I feel like I have more control with a brush. I'm very glad I picked a brush-on paint for the actual color! I'm going to put the first coat on later today.

The inside of a cabinet door, painted and glazed.
I did a test run on the inside of one of the bathroom cabinet doors to make sure I liked the color and the effect of the glaze. The color gets a thumbs up from me and my whole family. The glaze gets a thumbs down. No one likes it. We all agree that it makes the cabinet look dirty. There isn't enough texture to make the glaze look cool. Instead, it gets stuck around the edges of the slats and looks silly. I covered the glaze with another coat of paint and will save the rest of it for other things. 
The black glaze looks awesome on this silver picture frame!
I wanted to experiment a bit with the glaze to see if I could make it work on something. I found this old picture frame that has a lot of interesting detail. It was already painted silver, so I didn't do anything but add the glaze. And, this time, the result was good!  I love this look. I wish I had a before picture to show because it looked quite boring. The glaze made the details pop right out!  I love it!  I think this will be one of the accessories that I use in the bathroom. I just need to find a picture to put in it!

4 comments:

  1. Big steps forward! I do agree about the glaze- but it looks lovely on the frame!
    Can't wait to see the finished cabinet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love experimenting with paint! My father in law is a professional painter though so if it isn't perfect he notices and so I usually leave it up to him or my husband (otherwise it usually gets re-done anyway, LOL) Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky to have a pro in the family!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!