Monday, February 14, 2011

Out with the Ugly: A Bathroom Re-do

We've lived in this house for nine years. When we moved in, I had big plans for redecorating everything. Since then, I've painted some rooms, but not really done too much. Life kind of took over and time was a limiting factor, as well as some other issues. But, it's time for me to stop making excuses!  To start, I'm taking on the bathroom, which is not quite the ugliest room in our house, but pretty darn close.

Our house was built in 1965 and, at the time, it seems that lavender bathtubs were in fashion. I've got a lavender tub in my bathroom, white tile that goes half way up the wall and is bordered by lavender tile and some really ugly dark brown cabinets. I would love to rip the whole thing out and completely redecorate, but that's not in the cards (or the budget) right now. What I can do is paint. I've found some great tips and wonderful inspiration on the Internet for redecorating bathrooms. Here's what I've learned:
  • If you're stuck with an outdated color for major bathroom fixtures, work the color into the new color scheme, making it seem as if the original color was an intended part of the decor.
  • Follow the 60, 30, 10 rule of decorating. Choose your main color (in this case, mine is chosen for me - lavender). This is 60% of the color scheme. The secondary color is 30% of the color scheme. And the final color, the 10%, is the accent color. My accent color is going to be green, so I think my secondary color is going to be white.
  • You can make anything look better with glaze!  Check out All Things Thrifty and her glazing tutorial. Then, surf around her blog to see some fantastic before and after pictures. This is my plan for the bathroom cabinets. She also has some great stenciling before and after pictures, which I can envision in other parts of my house.

This is a before shot of the cabinets. U G L Y  And, as you can see, they need some repair work, too. Today, I removed the doors and the latches. Tomorrow, I'm going to wash them down and prime them. When the project is complete, I'll post pictures. 

To give you an idea of what I want to accomplish, this is what I'm going for as far as color scheme goes. Of course, I don't have that gorgeous tub! If you have a knack for decorating, give me your tips!  I need all the help I can get. And, if you've got a lavender bathtub and have created a beautifully decorated bathroom around it, please e-mail me your pictures! 

7 comments:

  1. Yup, I've had a lavender bathtub too. We had a lavender bath, apricot vanity and sink, and green tiles on the floor- in the end, because we were in a rental, I just gave up and tried to keep it clean! I look forward to seeing the progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief! I'm happy I just have a lavender tub to deal with! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. To help keep cost down you could "shop" for accessories in your home. Moving accessories from one room to another makes them feel new again. I have a box in my basement of things that I have tired of but do not want to get rid of. Every now and then I "shop" there. You can also reuse old calendars and greeting cards by placing them in inexpensive frames. Maybe then you can use some of your budget to splurge on new curtains and a new shower curtain (keep it closed to conceal the purple tub).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice, Anon! Thank you! I already have my eye on a green vase that's going in there, but I'll also see what I've got stashed in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No lavender here...but pink...that's another story; Pink tub, pink toilet, pink tile. I can't say I did anything to improve it, we just went whimsical and threw a bunch of other colors in with it. We have an underwater mermaid theme. What can ya do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do think this cupboards do look ugly and harsh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lavender and perhaps lime green--very refreshing. Winter green might be great also. I hate army green personally.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!