Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Day in Which Nothing Goes as Planned

Do you ever have one of those days where things just don't work out the way you thought they would? Today is one of those days for me. None of it is anything major, but all the little annoyances are adding up!

Here's what's happened:

1. My 3-year-old son had his first dentist appointment scheduled for 10:00. I started getting us ready to go when I realized I've forgotten to add him to our dental insurance. Oops! Though, I'm happy we didn't get all the way there before I figured it out. 

2. I was going to go to the bank to deposit my husband's paycheck. I don't know why we haven't signed up for direct deposit. Anyway, I can't find the checkbook. Which, isn't a big deal as long as it turns up soon. I have extra deposit slips and was all set to go, except...

3. I was also going to the post office to mail my two neices' birthday presents. By the time I rescheduled the dentist appointment, spent some time looking for the checkbook and looked our account number up on-line, it was 10:30. Our local post office closes for lunch at 10:30 until who knows when. I can never get their hours straight. But, I do know that I missed my chance today.

4. I was going to quickly revise an article I wrote for a children's magazine to send out today, but I didn't have time to finish it this morning. However, since the post office is closed, this was my chance to get it done and make one trip to the post office tomorrow. I had submitted this article to a very popular children's magazine last April. They held it until summer before getting back to me. When they did, they requested revisions, which I made. They then held the article until December, when they sent me a rejection. Still, I consider it a win because it is THE children's magazine to get published in and the fact that they considered it is HUGE! Anyway, I need to get it back out there for consideration somewhere. Except, the article is around 800 words and my second choice magazine only accepts up to 500. That means I need to practically cut it in half. This isn't as easy as it sounds. However, since it's been so long since I've read it, I can see where I could have made it smoother to up my chances of making a sale to the first magazine. I have a tendency to write a bit formally, which I can't seem to shake! I'm working on it.

5. Working on the above article, I've cut over 100 words and printed it a second time so I can read the whole thing and see what else can be cut. I realize I've got about 10 pieces of printer paper left in the entire house. I'll probably have to print it a few more times, as well as print a cover letter. It looks like it's not going out tomorrow, either! Maybe my husband can pick some up on the way home.

The afternoon will be better. I had no plans, other than some easy cleaning, tidying, babysitting after school and making dinner. Maybe I'll find the checkbook.

3 comments:

  1. LOL. You too!

    So much of life is:
    1)plan
    2)forget to plan
    3)forget to play
    4)worry.

    I am forgetting to worry--the last one. There is so much I can't control and most of all be perfect myself. Why worry about it! That's my plan!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your plan! LOL I spoke to soon about mine - lol. I just picked a sick kid up from school. We'll see what the rest of the day brings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!