Monday, March 7, 2011

Organize Your Home Office Day

Do you have an official home office? What about an unofficial one? I definitely fall into the unofficial home office category. I would love to have an official office, but we don't have the space. 

This is my unofficial home office:

I tend to stack drafts of articles I'm working on, magazines I'm reading for research, books and all of my Cub Scout den meeting planning stuff on this end table. I also have writing reference books and my writing classwork stored in the bookcase in my bedroom. And, our home management necessities, like checkbooks, school papers and other important things are in a drawer in the kitchen. It's not a great solution, but it's what I've got for now!  It's gotten a bit messy lately. Luckily, March 8th is Organize Your Home Office Day

What can you do to organize your home office?  Here are five quick tips:

Spend 15 minutes decluttering a home office. This may mean sorting through papers to recycle what is no longer needed, like old magazines and old drafts of articles. Or, maybe it means sorting out books and other things that can be donated to a local library or thrift store.

Shred sensitive documents. If you've got outdated bank statements and things of that nature, shred them. You don't want to throw anything with bank account numbers, social security numbers or other sensitive information in the regular recycle bin. Sort a stack of papers to shred, then set up a shredding station in the living room. Watch a favorite TV show or listen to music to pass the time while you do this mundane task.

Return items to their home. If you've got books stacked on a desk that can go in a bookcase, then put them away. Likewise, with other home office items. Return things to their proper place so you can find them when you need them.

Assess organizational needs. I'm doing this right now. I'd really like to find some type of container that I can use to store my current writing projects, so I don't have to leave them out on the end table. Maybe you need to add a file cabinet to your home office, or an inbox or a place to keep office supplies. Look at the items that don't seem to have a home and figure out what you need to create a space for them.

Dust. Home offices can get pretty dusty, especially around computer equipment. Take a few minutes to dust and clean a desk, computer or, in my case, an end table.

Of course, it would be great to do a major purge and reorganization of a home office! But, with one day and likely only a few minutes to spare, you may not have the time to devote to it. However, you can fit in a bit of decluttering and reorganizing and make the home office better than it was!

2 comments:

  1. Going to work on your suggestions this morning. Thanks.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your unofficial office is just like mine! I blog from the couch and I have a three drawer rubbermaid type thingy that doubles as an end table filled and covered with all of my press releases etc. I go through it every couple of weeks and weed out the junk but that corner is a never ending jumble of STUFF.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!