Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Why I Love My Kitchen Table

Some people might look at my kitchen table and think it's a wreck. But, I honestly love it. We got it for free. It was a cast off from one of my husband's uncle's apartment tenants. Someone just left it when they moved out (can you believe that?!). It's a sturdy, solid table. We sanded it down a bit and put polyurethane on it. It looked pretty good at the time. But, that was about ten years ago. It's taken a lot of abuse since then!
Can you see all the marker, paint, pen and grape juice stains? Most of the finish has worn off, as well. This table gets heavy use, both at meal time and craft time. I love not having to worry about my kids crafting here. They can be as crazy as they want with paints or markers and there are no worries.

Believe it or not, I've gotten a lot of compliments on this table. This was something I never expected. But, people seem to love it, too. I had a La Leche League meeting here about two years ago. Betsy, whose been a leader for over 30 years, complimented it. She said it was wonderful to have a place where kids could be creative with no restrictions. Some people have said they love it, but that they could never let it happen in their own house.

The plan is to keep it until the kids are all much older. We'll replace it eventually, but not until we don't have to worry about over-zealous coloring that runs off the page. 

Do you have anything that might not be pretty, but you love just the same? 

3 comments:

  1. My bed's mattress is not looking good (It's become very thin) but I love it just the same. I can't IMAGINE having to sleep in another mattress which is too cushion-y or too... DIFFERENT. My bed is the bed that's comfy for me. :) And Betsy's right about your table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nivedha!

    There is nothing like one's own bed, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! And a question: Do you like ABBA?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!