Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Yet Another Benefit to Ditching the Microwave Oven

Even if you don't believe any of the stuff about microwave ovens being unhealthy, they do add to kitchen clutter, in more ways than one. Yesterday, I posted that one way to reduce kitchen clutter is to get rid of the microwave oven. Today, I'm taking it a step further.

When I was cleaning up toys last night, I found this old Pampered Chef microwave cooking pot. It used to have a lid and worked as a steamer. It's been so long since we've had a microwave that I forgot we had a lot of microwave accessories to go along with it. If you're short on space, this makes for a kitchen storage nightmare. We had plastic containers of various sizes for storing leftovers that could then be reheated in the microwave (yuck!). We had specialty microwave cooking gear, like a bacon pan.

When we got rid of the microwave, we also weeded out all the microwave accessories. I gave away the Tupperware storage containers. Now, I store leftover food in glass Mason jars or in small casserole dishes. Some of the microwave accessories became toys, like the steamer pot in the picture. It fits nicely in the toy kitchen!

Do you have a lot of microwave accessories? 

2 comments:

  1. Barb -- if I got rid of my microwave there would be no hot food in the house! Oh wait...there's still the toaster oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I were like that too, several years ago. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!