Friday, April 1, 2011

The Bathroom Cabinets: Before & After

Drum roll, please!  The bathroom cabinets are finally done! I made a few mistakes along the way and I still have to find latches for the doors, but I'm quite happy with the result. If you remember, the cabinets looked like this:


I removed the doors, washed the cabinets, primed them and began painting. After several weeks and several coats of paint, they finally look like this:

My first mistake was not using enough primer and causing the original stain to bleed through the paint. I solved that by applying more primer in the offending areas. In the future, I'll use a paintable primer, instead of a spray-on. I think I'll get more uniform coverage that way. After everything was primed, I added three coats of paint, even on the edges of the doors. That was my second mistake. The doors now fit rather tightly into the cupboards! I'm going to sand down the edges a bit. That should take care of the problem.

To read about my work on the cabinets, check out these posts:

Experimenting with Paint and Out with the Ugly: A Bathroom Re-do

My next step in the bathroom is to remove the old wallpaper border. More on that later. 

Please visit All Things Thrifty because her wonderful blog was a huge inspiration to me through the duration of this project!

9 comments:

  1. They look fantastic! How cool that you were able to use the existing cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy what a coat of paint can do! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very impressed with Cleaning Up The Clutter's blog. As an owner of a professional cleaning company http://www.full-service-janitorial.com it's rare that I come across a blog in my industry that's really informative and useful...keep up the good work!

    A Sornoff
    DBM Professional Janitorial Services

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I know I'm a year late, but why not re-use the original latches? They're charming and totally back in style. If you really hate them, just spray paint them a stainless steel color, that would look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I would have used the originals, but one of them was broken. I couldn't find a replacement, so figured it'd be easier to replace the whole set.

      Delete

Thanks!