Thursday, April 14, 2011

Maybe the Ghost Can Fold the Laundry

I saw a ghost the other night. At least I thought I did. In reality, I was in that hazy place between sleeping and waking where the lines between what's real and what's part of my imagination cross. You've been there, right?

I woke up with a start because of a loud "thump" in my bedroom. That's when I was sure I saw a long-haired woman wearing a yellow bandanna on her head drop a full laundry basket on the floor and look around the room. I was fully conscious and fully freaked out pretty damn quick. I'm not sure which was scarier - the ghost or the fact that even when I'm seeing ghosts, my subconscious mind is still thinking about getting the laundry done.  

I must have physically reacted because my dog, who was sleeping at the foot of the bed, immediately jumped off the bed and left the room. That wasn't very comforting! By then, the ghost was gone and I was wide awake, but not quite rational. I was convinced there really had been a ghost and the dog saw it, or at least sensed it. What good is a dog if she's not going to stick around and protect me from ghosts?

My unease was magnified by the darkness of the night, the wide-open bedroom window and the wind. The curtain seemed to be ghostlike as it billowed and waved on the breeze. I really wanted to shut the window. Maybe the ghost blew in on the wind?

I couldn't shut my eyes because I thought she might still be in the room, but I was afraid to keep them open, too.

I called my dog, who obediently curled up on the bed again. That was a good sign. There couldn't have been a ghost or she wouldn't have come back. Right? Just the same, I held onto her collar so she wouldn't leave again.

While my husband slept peacefully, I was frozen in wide-awake terror. I covered everything but my nose and the hand holding the dog's collar with blankets. That way the ghost couldn't see me. It made sense at the time, I swear! I debated getting up to turn the light on, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

While I tried to will morning to come early, my kitten was loving the windy night. I don't think I've mentioned before that he sounds like a herd of elephants when he jumps and runs. When he sprang off the windowsill in the bedroom for the tenth time, I finally realized he was the source of the jarring thump I'd heard.

I eventually relaxed and let go of the dog's collar. Still, I couldn't help but feel like there had been a ghost in my bedroom. My last thought before I went back to sleep was maybe she'll at least fold that basket of laundry before she leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!