Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Vow of Silence

I've got laryngitis. And, the boys are on school vacation this week. That's a tough combo.

The laryngitis came on fast, late Sunday afternoon. I feel mostly okay, but my throat is a bit sore and I sound like a battle droid, according to my six year old. I was doing my best to communicate with my kids, but it was frustrating. It's been over 24 hours now. I thought for sure things would be back to normal.

When I woke up this morning, I had a brief respite. But, after carrying on as normal, my voice was back to being not much more than a squeak. This afternoon, I finally took a moment to Google "laryngitis". It seems one is not supposed to talk while the vocal cords are inflamed, least they take longer to heal and the condition gets aggravated. That makes sense since everything seemed okay for a bit after not talking all night.

Now I've got a little pad of paper and am writing to the boys when I need to communicate with them. Luckily, two of them can read and they can help the toddler know what I'm trying to say. I'm also gargling salt water and drinking lots of fluids. Hopefully, things will be headed towards normal by morning. 

4 comments:

  1. And don't try to whisper either -- I have had more lectures from doctors about how hard whispering is on your throat, especially with laryngitis. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've been whispering a bit, thinking I was helping. I'll stop now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get laryngitis every year. When my daughter was little, as a single parent I had no one to take my place if I became ill, so I made tapes of me reading to her, singing, and reciting poetry. I used them whenever I couldn't talk, but also when I was too tired to go through the bedtime rituals. When she was a teenager, I started reciting a poem and she joined in. I asked, "How do you know that poem?" and she explained that she still frequently listened to the tapes. Anyway, it helped a lot when I got laryngitis. And yes, no whispering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jude - That is wonderful story! And, it's a great idea. How sweet that she still listened to them as a teenager!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!