Friday, April 29, 2011

Oh My Bleeding Heart

No, I'm not making a declaration of my political beliefs, contrary to what the title might say. I don't like to talk politics. Besides, this post is all about what's good and right in the world. Finally, we have a perfect spring day. It's not too hot, not too cold and the sun is shining. Best of all, the flowers are blooming, including this springtime favorite.


Bleeding Heart
The violets are blooming all over the yard. Last year, the boys and I made violet jelly. While that was fun, I don't think we'll be repeating that experiment. I'll enjoy the flowers in the yard and maybe toss a few on some salads.

Violets
I'm also thrilled to see my blueberry bushes covered in tiny leaves and my rhubarb growing. This weekend, I'm going to dig up some of my mother-in-law's Heritage raspberry bushes to plant in our yard. I hope they do as well here as they do for her!  
Rhubarb
I can't wait for that first strawberry-rhubarb pie! I love this time of year! What's springing up in your yard?

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've got daffodils, and some hyacinths on their way out. Today I actually have my windows open and am enjoying Spring here, too. It's about time, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? No comment about weeds or other yard clutter?

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got some vinca (http://mentallynormalnormallymental.blogspot.com/2011/04/vinca-and-wiki-article.html) and some mustard, cress, lettuce and fenugreek, all planted by me. And I must say your garden looks fabulous! especially the violets and bleeding hearts. Oh, I can't WAIT for the cress and lettuce. A salad is waiting for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! We don't have a garden this year :( (put our house on the market in January)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, i have my own garden and your blog has help me tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. red kitchenaid mixerMay 6, 2011 at 4:09 PM

    nice flowers , i really like the blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice blog the info was really helpful thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations for posting such a useful blog. Your blog isn’t only informative but also extremely artistic too. There usually are extremely couple of individuals who can write not so easy articles that creatively. Keep up the good writing !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol - I'm kind of partial to a lot of plants that most people think are weeds. I love my dandelions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nivedha - I like vinca. I almost bought some when I was at the garden center the other day! But, I don't really have a place to put it right now.

    Thanks for the comments everyone! Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!