Monday, May 23, 2011

In Which I Admit the House is a Mess

A part of me wishes I was a type A personality with a dash of OCD. We all know people like that. They're the ones who can't sleep if there's a dirty dish in the sink. All the toys are always picked up and the laundry is always done. The dirty fingerprints are wiped off as soon as they are smeared all over the wall. They can't live any other way.

I, however, am the type of person who would rather sleep than do dishes at the end of a busy day. It doesn't matter if it's one dish or a sink full of them. If it's after 8:30 or so at night, I'm not washing them until morning. The same goes for laundry, toys on the floor and dog hair on the stairs. In all honestly, I don't think a day like this now and again makes too much difference. It all gets done on the next day and doesn't have too much of an impact on the house.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a natural phenomenon where a mom takes more than a day or two off from housecleaning and the house falls apart around her.   

It seems I have a flimsy grasp on the state of the house if two or three days throws it into hurricane aftermath mode.

After three busy days where I just barely did survival cleaning, the house is trashed. Survival cleaning is what I do to get by. I basically make sure there's no trash on the floor, we put the food away and keep ourselves clean. Today is my day of reckoning. I better get  moving!

3 comments:

  1. LOL Thanks for admitting your struggles which we all have! How did your day of determination go?

    Our plumber didn't come yesterday to fix the kitchen sink. I find that the sink is tied into the nearby laundry room this morning, as water is coming up in the kitchen sink while I am washing a load of clothes and there is water on the tile in the laundry room.

    If I can just wash dishes in the dishwasher and do wash clothes! I will settle for that!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My day of determination went very well. Five baskets of laundry were folded and put away! Plus, some tidying, dishes, dinner, etc. It helped that the internet was down for the afternoon - lol!

    I hope your plumber shows up today and gets it fixed for you! Dishes and laundry accumulate fast when you can't do them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am OCD about clutter, and my house is still a mess. with two toddlers, i know exactly what you mean about the house falling apart ... i cleaned their room the other day, and what took me a day to do, took them minutes to destroy (while i worked on another part of the house). sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!