Thursday, June 2, 2011

Neglect

I've been neglecting my blog a bit lately. And my house. But, life has been full. In the past two weeks, I've been hanging out with these guys...

Bronx Zoo Gorilla

Chilean Flamingos
...and many other creatures at the Bronx Zoo. It was great, though we didn't see everything. I'd love to go back sometime. One day isn't enough! I'd like to wait a year or two before we go again. Maybe then we won't have to bring a stroller and pull-ups. 

Yesterday, I went on the 6th-grade field trip with my oldest son. We saw this:



Statue of Liberty

Rebuilding the World Trade Center
We took a tour boat ride around NY Harbor, then visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art. What a great day! The only downside was that my son's best friend got hurt before the boat tour started. He fell, hit his head and ended up going to the hospital as a precaution. His mom, who was not on the trip, had to take the train down to get him. He's okay, thankfully. My son was a bit blue because he was missing his friend and we were both worried about him. Still, my son was able to enjoy seeing everything and took lots of pictures and an hour of video footage for his friend.

King Henry VIII's armor

Knight on Horseback - Check out that Feather!
We spent a lot of time in the Arms and Armor section. My son was quite interested in it all. He was determined to take a picture of everything in the main room of the section for his friend.

What really struck me about the knights' armor is they know who owned some of it and the story about how and why it happened to be made. Though most of it was from the 1500s, it's labelled and well preserved. They have things in the museum from before Christ. The Greek and Roman section and the Egyptian section are amazing. When I saw the knights' armor, after seeing a B.C. chariot, it really made the whole medieval age seem not that long ago. In the history of the world, it was just a blink of an eye.

Other than trips to the city, we've been busy with lacrosse, scouts and everything else that goes with the end of the school year. It's approaching fast! I can't believe another year has gone by. Where does the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!