Thursday, June 16, 2011

Out With the Old, In With the Fresh Local Veggies

When was the last time you cleaned your fridge? Entirely? It's okay. I can't remember either.

Yesterday, we got our 2nd basket from our local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). This is our third summer participating in a CSA. It's been fantastic each time. The past two years, we had to drive 30 minutes to pick up our weekly share. This year, a farm in our town started a CSA. We shop at the farm store anyway, so we eagerly signed up, hopeful that it would be just as good as the previous farm. So far so good! The only downside is that we also got a fruit and egg share from the previous farm, but that's not available with this one.

If you've ever participated in a CSA, you'll know that it means you need to free up lots of fridge space. I've been meaning to clean my refrigerator out for the past few weeks. Ideally, I wanted to have it done before we got our first share. I didn't get to it until today.

How old are these homemade soups? It's a mystery.
I had to take these jars of old soup out and throw them away. We usually gobble up any leftover soup, but here's evidence that we didn't get to some of it. I don't even know how old they are. The one on the right is beef and barley soup. I haven't made that in several months. The chicken noodle might not be that old, but who can be sure? When in doubt, throw it out.

I cleaned out all the old junk, wiped down the surfaces and washed the drawers. Now there's lots of room for my fresh, local produce. And, for the strawberries the kids and I are going to pick later today. Yum!

Interesting Factoid: Remember when everyone put an open box of baking soda in the fridge to absorb odors? According to this, it's a myth. That box of baking soda is just another piece of clutter. Keep the fridge odor free by wrapping food properly and cleaning the fridge regularly.

2 comments:

  1. Good reminder, Barb. By the way, is your strategy to stay cool working out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol! We're staying cool, for the most part. But, we're having a cool summer, so far. On the few hot days we've had, I've managed to keep the house closed up during the worst of it and we fared pretty well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!