Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ahh...Vacation

We're back! We took a five day camping vacation. As crazy of an endeavor as that is with 3 boys, it was lots of fun. We spent the first night at our friend's house in Syracuse, then enjoyed a cookout with his family, my brother's family and another family the next day.

After that, we packed up our stuff and moved to our campsite in Sterling, NY to spend the next two days enjoying the Sterling Renaissance Festival.

If you've never been to a Renaissance Festival, I suggest you find the closest one and get there asap!

They're an interesting experience and give you a taste of what life was like in England in the 1500's with a humorous twist.

Half the fun of going to a Renaissance Festival is people watching. The actors, of course are dressed in amazing costumes...


...as are many of the patrons. I'm amazed, actually, at how much money and effort some people put into their costumes.

This guy is holding a baby dragon puppet, which my youngest son was absolutely convinced was real. It even blew smoke from its nose.
Even the horses wear costumes. 

Alas, my family does not dress up. As much fun as it would be, when camping for a long weekend, there's just too much to coordinate, especially with three kids.

I think my middle son would love to dress up. Heck, around here, he's often dressed as Darth Vader, Yoda or a knight. He'll wear costumes wherever he goes. He once spent a summer dressed as Spiderman. But, my other two wouldn't be as into it. They wouldn't even stand behind the wooden pictures of a king and queen to get their pictures taken!

I did, though.
What do you think? Should I wear it to the ball?

I hope your summer is shaping up to be as fun as ours!  Huzzah!

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading and enjoying your blog for about a year now, and just want to say thanks for your pictures of Sterling. I worked as an actor there in the late '90s. I live on the other side of the country now, and your pics bring back fond memories of a great experience and a beautiful place. Glad you enjoyed the Faire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! It must be fun to work there! So glad you enjoyed the pictures. Maybe you'll make it back to Sterling someday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!