Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Nightmare Before Christmas

It seems Christmas is on my mind lately. Or, at least it's on my subconscious mind.

I had a nightmare about Christmas shopping, or rather a lack of Christmas shopping. Without going into great detail, because there's nothing more boring than reading an account of someone else's dreams, here's the rundown of what happened.

My husband and I realized at 5:00 in the evening on Christmas Eve that we hadn't done any Christmas prep yet, including shopping, decorating and baking. We thought it'd be a good idea to decorate the Christmas tree first. Then, in a near panic, we headed to a department store to find presents for our three kids and extended family at 5:30, knowing that the store would likely be closed by the time we got there.

I had a sense of panic throughout the dream and woke feeling quite unsettled. It seems silly, but it was one of those dreams that definitely crossed into nightmare territory because of how I felt through the whole thing.

There's no doubt this dream is telling me that, as much as I love the holiday season, it's also a source of stress.

I think most moms will agree there's a lot on our plates between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. The stress can come from many sectors of our life. There's the time crunch, shopping stress, financial worries and the burden of expectations imposed on us by others and ourselves. 

I re-read my post Getting Ready for Next Christmas. Sometimes, it's worth it to take my own advice.

One strategy to deal effectively with holiday stress is to plan ahead.

Save money throughout the year, start shopping early and schedule your time so you don't feel overwhelmed at the last minute.


While I have started shopping a bit, it's time I make a list and get some focus on this year's holiday season. With any luck, you won't find me anywhere near a store on Christmas Eve.

1 comment:

  1. Christmas is one of those times when I do plan ahead. I plan because I enjoy giving. I plan because funds aren't extensive.

    However, Barb, once I had a dream that I had to make a bridesmaid dress and was running around helping all kinds of people. I felt angry in my dream that no one would free me up to sew or help me sew. This dream and other experiences helped me make changes in my life. Dreams do that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!