Friday, October 21, 2011

5 Ways to Get Motivated to Clean

My cleaning motivation is nonexistent today. I've got nothing. Perhaps I burned myself out too early?

I celebrated National Stuff a Trash Bag with Clutter Day by spending 15 minutes decluttering my oldest son's bedroom. I was hoping it would kick start a mini cleaning binge.

But, it didn't.

I've got to get some cleaning done. The living room, kitchen and bathroom all need attention. I'm going to force myself into motivation. Here's how:

1. Listen to music. I hope my iPod is charged because listening to upbeat music is key in breaking through the unmotivated barrier. I've written about music's ability to motivate before on this little cleaning blog of mine, but it works, so it's worth repeating.

2. Get back to basics. The way I get back to basics with cleaning when I'm unmotivated is to not challenge myself too much. I'll set a timer for 10 or 15 minutes for each room that needs attention and declutter and pick up as many toys as I can in that time. It's usually enough to get the job done, plus some extra time to pull out a dust rag.

3. Reward myself. I've got a couple of bags of Halloween candy hiding in my bedroom closet. If I get my work done, I think I'm going to treat myself to a Payday and a little box of Milk Duds. Yum! The trick is stopping at one each. I don't want to have to buy Halloween candy again! 

4. Drink a glass of water. I know this one seems strange, but sometimes I get sluggish when I don't drink enough water. I've cut back on coffee recently, so that's not an option right now. (It was keeping me up at night, if you're wondering.) I tend to forget to drink enough water throughout the day. A quick glass of cold water will sometimes perk me up a bit.

5. Keep the cleaning routine simple. When I'm really not motivated, but need to freshen up the house and remove the dog hair that's accumulated since yesterday, I run the vacuum over all the floors. Forget sweeping and mopping. I can set my vacuum to clean bare floors or carpeting. It works on both. I'll give the entire upstairs a once over and forget about the mop for today. 

It's time for me to stop procrastinating and get to work!

What's motivating you today? What's your favorite Halloween candy?

2 comments:

  1. Well I get motivated by reading your blog.

    Also, we booked a Christmas party at our home Dec. 7th. Company motivates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the motivation! Keeping cleaning simple is very true. Sometimes it can seem so much to do and very overwhelming!

    http://thetruthbehindthesupermum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!