Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Embracing the Purple

If you follow my blog on a regular basis, you've probably been wondering what happened to my bathroom make over project. The simple answer is I've been procrastinating. I was also unsure about which color to pick for the walls.

This morning, I woke up and decided I would procrastinate no more. The bathroom project has to be done before the holidays. It just has to! I'm tired of it hanging over my head.

I was sure I was going to paint the white walls with the very light, barely there purple called Amethyst Cream. In all honesty, this color wasn't much of a change from the sterile white that was already there. It was white with a teeny, tiny hint of lavender. I didn't think that would make the room look much different.

It was time for me to face the truth about what I wanted the bathroom to be. I had to embrace the purple!

I ran to Home Depot first thing in the morning to buy a gallon of February Frost, an obvious lavender color. It's a close match to the lavender bathtub.

After taping the bathroom and making another quick trip to True Value, a smaller and easier to navigate hardware store, for a paint roller, I started painting.
Bathroom Walls Taped and Ready to Paint!
Wow! I'm so glad I choose the bolder color'! Months ago (like in February), when I first started the bathroom make over project, someone suggested I just go for it with the purple. I don't remember who that was, but thank you! The two older boys came home from school and both declared it "awesome". 

Tomorrow, I'll put a second coat on the walls and pull the tape off when everything is dry. I can't wait!

I've been casually looking for a matching shower curtain and window curtains for the room since February. I haven't found anything I like yet. And, I'm kind of shocked at how impossible it seems to be to find matching shower and window curtains. Am I the only one that's noticed that? Is it that unusual for a bathroom to have a window? Or maybe it's unusual for someone to want to match the shower curtain to the window curtain.

Anyway, I've decided the only way I'm going to find something I like is to sew it myself. I just ordered this pattern from eBay. As soon as I get it, I'll make a trip to the fabric store.

The end of the bathroom project is finally in sight!

If you want to read more about my bathroom project, check out Out With the Ugly: A Bathroom Re-do and Next Up in the Bathroom

4 comments:

  1. Please post a picture of the bathroom when it's finished, I'm waiting to see the color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always thought of winter green as a good accent color for purple--or as a good border for curtain and shower curtain in your case.

    When I first read the title, I thought of Alzheimer's which uses purple. My friend and I are walking in the Alzheimer's walk on Saturday and have our purple shirts for the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nivedha - I'll definitely post a pic!

    Carol - That's what I'm thinking too! I want to find a print that I like that has both green and purple in it, then I'll match the green for the border in the curtains. I'm so glad I'm almost done. This is the fun part!

    Shaik - I'm lol. If you only knew how often I get called "dude" around here. With 3 boys, it's a common expression in our house! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!