Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Getting Creative: Homemade Lip Balm

Today, I had a creative itch that needed scratchin'!

I've wanted to make homemade lip balm for awhile. A couple of months ago, I bought some lip balm tubes at our lovely local, herbal supply store, Jean's Greens.

I've made homemade herbal ointment before and still had quite a lot of beeswax left over from then. That was probably over a year ago, so the beeswax was quickly becoming unused hobby clutter. It was time for me to put it to good use!

Google searches led me to several recipes I didn't quite have the right ingredients to make. Almost ready to give up hope, I found the Bees Buzzing Newsletter and their directions for homemade beeswax lip balm. The recipe is simple and allows for substitutions, if needed. Perfect!

I tripled the recipe so I had enough to fill all six tubes. I substituted coconut oil for the almond oil because, well, that's what I had. Here's my final recipe:
  • 1 ounce beeswax
  • 3 teaspoons honey
  • 6 teaspoons coconut oil
  • Chamomile tea (loose or in bag)
Directions for Homemade Beeswax Lip Balm

1. Heat honey and coconut oil in a double boiler over low heat.
Melting Beeswax
2. Place chamomile tea bag in mixture. Let sit over low heat for ten minutes. Swirl the tea bag around every now and again. If using loose tea, put tea in a coffee filter, secure the top and use as a tea bag. Remove tea after 10 minutes.

3. Add beeswax and stir gently until melted.

4. Use a clean eye dropper to fill the tubes with melted lip balm. Once the lip balm starts to harden, it'll settle into the tube a bit. If you've got extra lip balm, keep it warm until this happens. Top off the tubes to fill.
Filled Lip Balm Tubes

5. Let cool completely before capping.

6. Spice up your lip balm tubes with homemade labels. I used Microsoft Publisher, which I can use at a basic level (no extraordinary skills required), some sticker paper and colored pencils.
Homemade Lip Balm, Homemade Labels
Because my color printer doesn't work, I had to print the labels with black ink. I hand colored each one with colored pencils, which was a lot of fun and a bit meditative. Each one is uniquely colored and really cute, if I do say so myself!

A few words of wisdom:

While I was happy to find a recipe that I could make today with the ingredients I had on hand, I'm not sure I'd use this recipe again. I'll have to see how the lip balm holds up and how effective it is. It's very beeswaxy. I think I can find a recipe that would be a bit softer, while still being firm enough to keep the tube shape. Still, this will work for now and it smells yummy.

I made a mistake when I infused the chamomile with the lip balm. I melted the beeswax, added the oil and honey, then infused the chamomile tea. I'm not sure how much chamomile actually got into the lip balm because the beeswax probably sealed off the coffee filter.  I fixed the directions above to reflect how it should be done if you want an herbal lip balm.

I love the idea of making my own health and beauty supplies like this. It's much easier than most people realize and leaves you with an all-natural product that doesn't have any funky chemicals in it.

And, it scratches that creative itch I get every now and again!

3 comments:

  1. I'm impressed. This would make a great teacher gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I make my own cleaning supplies but haven't ventured into health and beauty yet, though I've always wanted to. Maybe I'll let you inspire me.

    mommyrepeat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Micky - I didn't think about teacher gifts, but you're right! I may have to make another batch.

    Katie - It was really easy! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!