Friday, October 14, 2011

Volunteer Clutter

Raise your hand if you're a Girl Scout leader, 4H leader, Sunday school teacher, PTA president, head of your local Friends of the Library or hold some other volunteer position that leaves you with clutter.

My hand is up.

I'm a Cub Scout den leader for my second grader's Wolf den. As much fun as it can be, there's no denying that it's work. And, with it comes clutter.

This is my second year as a den leader. Before that, my husband was the den leader for our oldest son's den through four years of Cub Scouting.

I'm sure you can guess that I inherited his scouting supplies. Not only that, but I was given a gigantic box of supplies from another former den leader in our community. The positive is I didn't need to buy much for my den last year. We already had everything!
This is ALL Cub Scouting Supplies
The negative is I was looking at three over-flowing boxes of craft materials, papers, binders and other Cub Scouting odds and ends. It was too much.  And, I'm not even counting the large plastic container filled with our Cub Scout Pack's t-shirts or the other one with the Blue & Gold Dinner decorations that are both residing on prime real estate on basement shelves.

I'm not complaining. I'm happy to help out and am thrilled I get to be a part of my child's life in this way. Our family really believes in scouting. Still, I can't let Cub Scout supplies take over our house.  

I streamlined the boxes and consolidated them into one. I admit, it's busting at the seams, but at least it fits in my basement storage area! I also have a bag filled with markers and crayons that I intend to sort.

My plan is to be so organized the bag is ready to go with all necessary supplies before each den meeting. Can I do it? We'll see!

How do you organize supplies for your volunteer position?

1 comment:

  1. smiling and thinking about motherhood.

    it is a constant clutter battle (especially with mothering 8 who all are at home). I think the best way to organize is to have less. Less is definitely more. Hard to do, but makes life much easier. (we have so much here in America...too much really).

    I too find that inviting over company really helps with the clutter. It forces me to deal with it faster, than if no one is coming to visit us. (sleep-over friends/family) even help in a greater way, because it forces you to go a little further into areas that might be needed!

    Kimmie
    mama to 8
    one homemade and 7 adopted

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!