Thursday, November 10, 2011

5 Made in the U.S.A. Christmas Gifts for Kids

Can we save America, one Christmas gift at a time?

I've been doing some Christmas shopping since I wrote the Made in the U.S.A. post a few weeks ago. I have made every effort to buy only those things made in the U.S. for my sons, nieces and nephew. Though there are a few exceptions (Legos, for instance), I've stuck to my resolve for the most part.

Here are a few examples:

Crayola Coloring Books with Crayons

Crayola's a great U.S. company. I had a hard time pinpointing on-line exactly where their products are made. I don't think they do any actual manufacturing at the Crayola Factory in PA. It's a tourist site only. I found reference to them manufacturing in both the U.S. and Mexico. Still, if you look for the Made in U.S.A. label, you've found what you need! 

Dune Craft Science Kits

Most science kits are made elsewhere. I pawed through the large selection at Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts and found this gem from Dune Crafts. They had several other Made in U.S.A. kits to choose from, as well.
Books

I bought three young adult books at Target the other night. The publishers are Simon & Schuster, Bluefire and Harper. Each book says either "Printed in the U.S.A." or "Manufactured in the U.S.A." on the page with the copyright information. It seems a lot of books are printed right here. Yay!

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen (Simon & Schuster 1987) One of my middle schooler's favorite books!
Crayola Color Wonder Sets

Great, crafty gift for the 3 & under crowd. If you're getting creative materials for kids, why not go with the ones made in the U.S.?
Sinful Colors Nail Polish by Mirage Cosmetics

What do you get the teen girl in your life? We all know they can be fickle. It's so hard to narrow the choices down even more by looking only for things Made in the U.S.A.  Read labels. You'll strike gold eventually!

The best part about this list is that all of this stuff is available at Target, Walmart or JoAnn's. None of it was hard to find or expensive. They also happened to be gifts that'll get used, not added to the clutter heap!

What have you found that's Made in the U.S.A.?

2 comments:

  1. Great post! LOVE made in the USA products. I find myself checking more and more the "where" a product was made! I have two grand girlies and I'm always checking for new gifts to give or send them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I have resolved to buy only U.S. products this year for Christmas. It has been a bit difficult, but can be done. There are great websites that sell U.S. products and I have also vowed to spend more locally. Family Zoo memberships are inexpensive and give all year long. So it isn't hard to be creative and spend our hard earned money right here at home. Thank you for getting the message out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!