Monday, November 28, 2011

Is it too Early for Christmas Decorations?

Photo courtesy of mensatic at Morguefile.
We had beautiful weather in upstate NY this weekend. Since it also happened to be the weekend after Thanksgiving, people were out in droves decorating the exterior of their homes for Christmas. Some even have fully decorated Christmas trees peeking out of living room windows.

If feels too early to me. It's still November, after all.

It's a bit funny because, just a couple of weeks ago, everyone was complaining about the stores starting the Christmas season too early. It gets earlier every year. At least it does according to those that somehow keep track of these things. I don't think it really gets earlier every year. It's pretty much standard operating procedure the stores will go all out with Christmas stuff the day after Halloween. That's nothing new.

In defense of the early decorators, the season of Advent has started. Contrary to the cardboard Advent calendars that only include 24 days, Advent begins on the fourth Sunday before Christmas. This year, that was yesterday, November 27th. Maybe it's those with religious fervor who've put out their Christmas decorations in celebration? 

I'm guessing it's more that the weather was nice, people had long weekends and wanted to get it done before the busy month of December.

It still feels too early to me, though.

If you put it all up now, you've got to live with it for a month or more. It'll start to look cluttered and dusty before the second Advent candle is lit. If you get a real Christmas tree, it'll be desiccated by Christmas day.
 
Small children or pets will have a ball with all the decorations. There's a good chance something or many somethings will be broken and disheveled by the time baby Jesus is born. Not only that, but, as we all know, little kids aren't the most patient of creatures. That pre-Christmas anxiety some kids get will be off the wall if you fully embrace the holiday weeks before the actual holiday. 
 
No wonder people are anxious to take down their decorations as soon as they wake up the day after Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. Well there is a lot of truth in what you are saying, that is why I have not put up our tree yet, although there is only me and my husband and I. Too soon well yes, I can't wait until they come down. That is a beautiful picture of decorations you posted.
    Thanks for letting me visit.
    Susan
    http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com
    http://cholesterolfreerecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. Even though we have already had snow on the ground this year I don't like to put my Christmas decorations up until the weekend or week after Thanksgiving. I like to enjoy Thanksgiving longer than a day! I really enjoy your blog. I too am a Declutterer....please come visit my blog at www.crazyclutterlady.blogspot.com. I will definitely be back to visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments ladies!
    A week and a half later, and I've fully embraced decorating for Christmas. The trees up, the outdoor lights are strung and I'm rolling out some cookie dough soon!
    Amy- I've been to your blog. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I support you in this.I like the pictures used in this blog.But now it is not far away. Thanks.This is good work.I enjoy viewing this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!