Thursday, January 5, 2012

Guest Post: Spend Time Alone: mini-mission

I'm really excited to have Courtney from Be More with Less write a guest post for Cleaning up the Clutter! Those of you that read my blog regularly may have noticed the link to Be More with Less in the left sidebar. This is one of my favorite blogs with tons of inspiration. Thank you, Courtney, for writing a mini-mission just for Cleaning up the Clutter readers!

 

While meaningful relationships are a wonderful benefit when you live less, don't forget to spend time alone. We often define ourselves in terms of our relationships to others.
  • her mom
  • his wife
  • her daughter
  • his boss
  • her friend
Who are you when you are alone? Who are you when no one gives you anything or takes anything from you?

When you are quiet with your thoughts, you can more clearly identify what you need, what you want and what is most important to you. Both in the moment you are alone and when you re-join society.

When you are alone, you take away all of the time and energy you spend reacting to other people.

A few months ago I ate lunch alone outside on a cool, sunny day in New Orleans.

While I didn't have a lunch companion, I did have the clarity and attention to enjoy...
  • the sun warming my chilled body
  • the bubbles of champagne tickling the roof of my mouth
  • the reflection of greenery in my silverware
  • the chill of the wind on the exposed skin between my scarf and my shirt
  • when I felt full
I may have overlooked these things if I was engaged in conversation.

This is not to say it's not wonderful and amazing to spend time with people you love, but spending time alone will help you better engage in meaningful relationships. If you don't have the luxury of a few hours alone, even 10 minutes sitting in silence will give you a chance to think about how you feel and who you are.

 
And in case you forgot, you are beautiful.

Read more from Courtney at Be More with Less or say hi on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!