Sunday, January 8, 2012

How Do You Plan to Create Happiness for Yourself in 2012?

Do you have to plan for happiness? Hmm...

If happiness is a choice, then, yes, I think you do.

Dr. Aymee writes in the January 2012 Live-Well Lived post on BlogHer that we can build more happiness into our lives by learning to live in the moment.

I read Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now a couple of years ago. I remember that it had a profound impact on me. I really tried to put living in the now into practice, but it's hard sometimes! It's so easy to get caught up in worries and fret about things in the past or in the future. Anyone ever go through worst-case scenarios in their mind? I do often. Or, do you spend time reliving past events and wishing you would have handled them differently? I've been there, too.

This year, I plan to give more focus to living in the now. I'm going to start right now by really focusing on what I'm writing here.

While I know living in the moment helps, at the end of 2011, I began putting into practice another way to bring more happiness into my life.

When I was in college, I belonged to a sorority, Alpha Kappa Phi. It was such a fun time. I think we were all good at living in the now at that time in our lives! As a lot of sorority girls do in college, we drank and partied a heck of a lot.

But, we also did something that maybe isn't so typical for college girls to do.

We did community service. The university required it of all the Greek organizations, but we did a lot more than the minimum number of hours. As a matter of fact, our small sorority of 30 to 40 members (depending on the semester) logged around 800 service hours a year. We went to nursing homes, helped with a local Special Olympics bowling tournament, picked up trash, worked the phones at telethons and led a Brownie Troop, among other things. We won the university's service award more than once.
It was gratifying. I remember the happiness we all felt when we completed our service projects.

For 2012, I'm determined to serve more. If you follow my blog, you know I'm a Cub Scout den leader. I can't take on too much more in the way of extra curricular activities, but there are other ways to serve people every day. Something as simple as making someone a cup of coffee, giving cookies to a teacher or writing a heart-felt thank you showing appreciation all help to serve others in small ways.

I'm going to try to do something everyday to serve in a way that goes above and beyond what I normally do.

You can get involved in the Life Well Lived conversation by:
  • sharing your best answers to the question on the main Life Well Lived Post at BlogHer.
  • Sharing a link to the Life Well Lived expert’s post on BlogHer.com on your own blog, Facebook or Twitter.
  • Entering the Life Well Lived Moments Kindle Fire sweepstakes 
  • Sharing this post on your Facebook or Twitter account with the hashtag #PGLWL 
  • Commenting here with your thoughts on creating happiness for yourself in 2012 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting on my blog and listing my blog here. Makes me happy! There are some words like "nice" and "happy" that I don't use real often. I like "kind" and "joy" or "joyful" because making myself happy seems selfish to me. I think joy (and happiness) comes as a byproduct from being other-centered. I like the Scripture in Phil. 2:4 that tells us to not look only on our own interests, but also on the interests of others.

    I have huge burden with my husband's health, but have decided in 2012 to pray for others--something a senior citizen such as myself can do. Barb, I put you on my Friday list, and will pray for a good year for you, your family and for all you bless in your writing.

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol - You are always so kind and such a blessing to me in your comments! I admire you so much because I do know what you struggle with and know that it can't be easy. But, you seem to handle it with grace. Thank you for your prayers! I will remember you in mine as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!