Thursday, January 26, 2012

How to Patch Drywall

Last summer, my middle son developed a habit of kicking his heels on the wall in his brother's bedroom while  flat on his back on the bed. Every time I heard the thump thump thump, I knew he was kicking the wall. I'd say, "Stop kicking the wall. You're going to put holes in it."

He'd say, "Whatever," and try to do it soft enough that I wouldn't notice.

He'd do it again the next day. Eventually, he did this:
Two Heel-shaped Holes in the Wall
Someone once told me you couldn't raise boys without them making holes in the walls. This may be true. I remember my brothers putting holes in the walls, too. Though, if memory serves, theirs were usually out of anger and not from boredom. 

I mentioned the incident to a neighbor to get ideas on how to fix it. He works at Home Depot and is a handy guy.  

I was sure I'd have to cut out a section of the wall and replace it with a carefully sized piece of drywall. Not so, he said. The fix is simple and cheap. As per his advice, this is what I did:

1. Fill holes with spray foam insulation.

2. When dry, shave of excess and lightly sand to make even.

3. Spackle.

Yup, that's my son's hand doing the spackling. His holes, his job.
4. Sand.

5. Spackle again.

6. Sand again.

7. Paint. If you're lucky, you'll still have some paint leftover from when you painted the room. If not, you'll have to do your best to match it. I don't have any of the original paint, so I bought a small container of what I hope matches it. We haven't painted yet, but I think we'll do it today after school.  

That's all there is to it. Have you patched any drywall holes?

1 comment:

  1. I had a lot of questions about drywall. I actually found all the answers in one website (this NEVER happens!). www.howtodrywallDIY.com was really helpful. Check it out for new installs or just repair.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!